The GF's ADA 60-F - Shallow Rimless Build - Ohko Mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow... Well lesson learned. Sorry to hear about your angels, Dan! Guess i need to be doubly careful with shrimp in this tank.

I almost killed my betta and 2 shrimp...had the valve open at max while doing a test. Left to have dinner andwhen I came home, the timer went off and was killing everybody for about 1 hour on max CO2 output. The drop checker was neon yellow...D:

Update - DIY Conduit Light Suspension Project Complete!

Alright guys I haven't updated this thread with our latest milestone achievement here. I did a little research and figured out how to get some EMT Conduit Pipe bent, drill some holes, and ALSO with the help of Bill's Finnex Ray 2 hangers, I was able to suspend the light over the tank. I'm actually amazed that it came out somewhat decent -- especially coming from a non-DIY type of guy.

Here's the resource "HOW TO" thread that helped me in figuring out what to do:
How To: Build an ADA inspired lighting stand - Carolina Fish Talk

Here's my initial planning phase rendering. It came out close but not exact.
ixKxsx480fYL9.jpg

Here's me pretending to be a handyman...LOL
iJEwjS9dmdy3K.JPG

Nifty little step drill bit that came in handy... I drilled this holes 1" apart in order to give me the ability to raise and lower the fixture in 1" increments. :)
ipQ8d0ryL77hK.jpg

Here's how it attaches to the Ikea Expedit bookcase:
ib2sXIfxVSWR72.jpg

And FTS w/ DIY conduit suspension kit completed! :dance:
ibhxA3KpCnpbvs.jpg

BTW, these bent rods that Bill fabricated were the life saver! I don't know what I would have done w/out them! Bill, seriously... make a side business making those! haha... They insert nice and snug into the Ray 2. I then just used the metal cable Bill hooked me up with too. And attached everything with S-Hooks. (y)

ie2PydYBiruwQ.jpg

Note: The DSM continues.. .this DIY conduit project happened before the DSM started... I was just too lazy to post about it. But it's worth doing for those of you interested in suspending a light fixture.

Last edited:
Uh oh... Brian's tatted up too! Haha

The hanger looks great man, the only thing I wish you would have done is trim a little off the end so it's even with the tank... But I'm OCD, so yeah... Thanks for the props brother! Keep the updates comin!

Yeah man.. got the three quarter sleeve going! LOL... Anyway, I was going to take my hacksaw to that as well, but I thought that if I ever wanted to use this for a longer tank, that extra length might come in handy for a longer light... You know me and my MTS problem. Didn't want to limit my options. It doesn't bother me all that much.. luckily my OCD level is in its minor form.

That looks awesome and quite the set-up!

Though the "S" hooks scare me I would bump my head on it while moving stuff around in the tank and it would knock out of the hook and fall in the water and :eek:, LOL.

How about a carabiner rock climber type clip so it wouldn't fall off.

That's an excellent suggestion! I'm not that clumsy but my GF can be sometimes. Shoot, no ones perfect, i can accidentally bump it too.. Better safe than sorry! I'll definitely pick those up. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Edit: this is precisely why I'm not a very good DIY guy... Lol

Last edited:
Okay so now that I'm subbed to this thread too, where did your GF find the ohko stone? Did you purchase it locally or order it from somewhere? It's so beautiful with all the curvatures it has! :3

I like your DIY lights, it looks awesome.
And I like your sleeve. :)

Looks like your gonna have some competition. I wish my wife would actually want to do a build.

I know what you mean, except I am the "wife" in my situation, haha. My boyfriend has little interest in my latest hobby.

& Thanks for the link Brian I'll check it out!

I know what you mean, except I am the "wife" in my situation, haha. My boyfriend has little interest in my latest hobby.

& Thanks for the link Brian I'll check it out!

I know right its hard to get her to feed and dose ferts when I'm gone for a few days.

Looks like your gonna have some competition. I wish my wife would actually want to do a build.

Haha.. Yup! She makes my scapes look bad! She only got into it after i got the shrimp. She found those little guys intriguing and calming to watch and take care of.

Back
Top Bottom