The most common... sticky -- discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
From what I can tell from what people have posted CO2+medium light might be good to consider. Medium light Im thinking is in the 1.5-2 wpg range. Although CO2 is not nessasary at these light levels from the advise Ive seen here.

I'd say that as a newbie, I could hardly resist stocking right away. The infamous 'nitrogen cycle' seems to take forever!

My 6 pearl danios survived it alright, but with almost daily water changes - and the cycle still took almost 6 weeks.

My advice; take your time and try to ignore the tank while it's cycling. It's better to wait and have the fish you want to actually survive than it is to get frustrated and try to add way too many goldfish or the like.

2nd point of advice - read EVERYTHING you can find, be it here, @ google.com, or @ the library. There is no such thing as too much knowledge - especially when the caretaking of life if involved!

DeFeKt said:
Jchillin - you can always overdrive a 48" NO tube to levels above 40watts

Can I get sum more info on this?

I really like the results I get from overdriving lamps, though I've found that 48 inch T8 32W lamps are the best choice for overdriving. Here's gobs of information:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7576&start=0

48" T12 tubes come in 3 flavours, regular 40 w, HO, about 65w (I think), and VHO at 110 watts. The regular ballasts will not drive a VHO, but you could get 220 watts out of a double strip light with the right ballast. Aside from the much higher electrical consumption, the HO, and VHO tubes typically last half as long as a regular tube (they are rated at half), but if you want the light, it is an option. The tubes are readily available from electrical supply stores, and unless things have changed, they tend to be much cheaper than aquarium specific lights. The trend is, however, to the T8 lights for general use as they are more efficient.

dr_girlfriend said:
I think this thread got a bit off topic......

Maybe another thread, or article, for lighting options is needed?
I think the topics are closely related..JMHO though..
Even though the topic is beginners go out and get too much light; they usually have to spend more money for that light then they have to from the lack of knowledge about there lighting options..

I think before people even get their heapum big lights they throw any and every kind of plant in there
I am so, so guilty of this. But not this time! This time I learned and was given good advice on AA, and I think its going to work!

Great post brian.
Well, Malkore I have medium lighting (2 watts per gallon, 40 watts with a 20g tank) and just dived into the not "100% necessary" CO2 injection scheme and can't wait for thoses notacible improvments!

Though now I need to take it super slow to figure out how to handle all the affects of adding Co2...ph, KH etc...etc... :?
Wish me luck.
Ry.

Simpte, This is the first I have heard this. Good to know. THanks Seeing as I am about to setup a new 46g bow. Thanks

Here's another common mistake not only beginners make, but oldies like myself, lol.

Using the same algae scrubbers and nets between multiple tanks.

Now I have ick in my 75G from using the same net and scrubber while cleaning my 55G when the bala had ick and gave it to other fish. Now my 75G has ick for sure, and possibly my 26G as well, as a couple cherry barbs have been flashing. So I'm upping the temps slowly in both tanks. Currently lowering the temp in my 55G, as it's beem clear now well over 2 weeks, and the fish are doing great. Also going to steralize my net and algae scrubber in bleach solution, then boiling water, then rinse. Sad day for me, lol. :(

Who here is a noob? *raises hand*

I never realized that I was "double dipping" so to speak with my net.
That is one more noobie mistake that will be corrected.

Thanks to all of you, I may one day move beyond noob status.

Thanks Brian,
as a result of this thread, you have given me somthing important to think about. I'm about to setup a cichild tank and make it really BRIGHT and colouful. I love plants and although it seems from what I've read about cichilds tearing them apart, I got some thinking to do if I go ahead with plants and bright lighting>

Thankyou!

Back
Top Bottom