the start of green water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, i have had alot of aglea blooms on the glass of my aquarium lately, but it comes of easily with my magnetic scrapper.

yesterday i noticed the water getting a little cloudy and just thought it was a bacterial bloom, well, today it has taken on a green tinge. I am dosing with excel, does this help??

I think it might just be the remains of the algea i scrapped off the glass, but i am just checkin'

I dont have time to give you my stats ATM, if you need them just ask.

WaterPond said:
Well, i have had alot of aglea blooms on the glass of my aquarium lately, but it comes of easily with my magnetic scrapper.

yesterday i noticed the water getting a little cloudy and just thought it was a bacterial bloom, well, today it has taken on a green tinge. I am dosing with excel, does this help??

I think it might just be the remains of the algea i scrapped off the glass, but i am just checkin'

I dont have time to give you my stats ATM, if you need them just ask.
:D stats please :D
you know the drill...
light level and kind?
NO3?
PO4?
PH?
GH?
KH?
other then excel what are you dosing and how much?
how heavily are you planted?

is this you DP tank that just had the BBA incident?

okay, i have a little time to do i test right now

NO3? -around 5
PH? -7.0
GH? -aprox. 100

sorry, that is all my test kit has :p

Not dosing anything else but excel and CO2 ATM, i am getting more ferts this weekend (iron, and potassium)

It is VERY heavily planted

yes, same tank as the BBA incident, i only use half doses of excel though every week

Well, the water is crystal clear again, weird, i guess it was just the stuff i scraped of floating around

Well, I can already see that NO3 being at 5 is not a good thing. If you are going to be dosing C, then you need to keep a surplus of NO3(among other things). somewhere in the 10-20 range (if not more).

WaterPond said:
okay, i have a little time to do i test right now

NO3? -around 5
PH? -7.0
GH? -aprox. 100

sorry, that is all my test kit has :p

Not dosing anything else but excel and CO2 ATM, i am getting more ferts this weekend (iron, and potassium)

It is VERY heavily planted

yes, same tank as the BBA incident, i only use half doses of excel though every week

Well, the water is crystal clear again, weird, i guess it was just the stuff i scraped of floating around
oh my little canadian friend.... :? great that the GW went away, but at this point i think you might be heading on the path for a few more algae problems... let nip them in the bud! :D

ok according to you sig the is a 5 gallon with 2.7 wpg light (compact fluorescent??) i do not completely understand wpg on a small tank, but i am thinking you are probably in the medium range. and you are dosing Co2/excel...

you know you are a poor kid, but you may need to talk you parents into some money to help head off problems in the future :?

here is my advice, you can take it or leave it :) ...

1) get a better test kit... preferably one like the AP master kit... you should really have all the tests i asked for in my original post...
NO3?
PO4?
PH?
GH?
KH?

2) you said you are dosing only Co2 and excel, but have iron and potassium coming in, good start...but...
you may find that you will need NO3 and po4....
if your test is reading 5 ppm NO3 it is likely that in reality it is 0 ppm (Blue green Cynobacteria here we come... :twisted: )

what are you dosing for trace? is this your iron?
how are you dosing potassium (Flourish, kent? dry?...)

3) you can probably do fine with liquid dosing on a 5 gal... if i was you i would look into picking up some NO3 and PO4 (you have spot algae on the glass right? that is screaming you need PO4 to me...)

hth :D

Back
Top Bottom