The Unwritten Rules of Planted Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm getting stuff together for my first planted build and was wondering if there are any unwritten rules about planted tanks.

Stuff such as, never use activated carbon, or all air stones are bad... Etc..

Stuff like that is stuff I'd like to know.

Are you looking at with / without CO2 injection?

Using or not using carbon should be fine, I've never noticed a difference. A couple I've found are to test for ammonia after using substrate tabs and don't forget a good substrate when looking at lights, ferts, etc. Also buy more plants then your fish can eat.

What works for 96 people may not work for you. The number of variables and factors that makes one particular tank sucessful can rarely be duplicated. We deal with living things in glass boxes. After spending daily time educating yourself in 50 years you may know 10 percent. Its a big hobby with evolving science. Those that are successful often understand this and strive to continue to hone their craft. There is no finish line and rarely a perfect tank. Those that like perfection may always be disappointed but if one can channel it they are the ones who continue to grow as an aquarist.

But remember...for most its a hobby. Its supposed to be FUN.

My #1 rule....
Always look online for stuff!
You can find things on Ebay that cost $4 that would normally cost $10-15 at th LFS!
I always check online before buying at LFS....
Also, don't overcomplicate things. Nature will work itself out, without chemicals or whatever else there is to use.
Let it run it's course.
And as mentioned above, what works for others may not work for you and vise versa.
Hope this helped a bit!

Like with all tank keeping, good clean water and frequent water changes will benefit the plants and inhabitants and make the tank have better health.

Understand what you want to do / accomplish and see how it would be in the end and work your way backwards from that in planning to avoid getting distracted and knowing what will be needed, light, type of plants, substrate, etc.

My tidbit of advice

Is that with planted tanks, there is such thing as TOO clean a tank.

If you're the kind of OCD person who gravel vacs religiously and does water changes more often than you go to the bathroom - Your plants won't make it. They need at least a little dirt/fishpoop to use as fertilizer.

Also, beware of MTS (snails) on any plants you get. my tank has had them for 6+ years from a clipping I got from a friend. Never been able to get rid of them, Never will.

Dipping your plants in a 1:20 ratio of bleach for a short while should deal with any hidden eggs.

Is that with planted tanks, there is such thing as TOO clean a tank.

If you're the kind of OCD person who gravel vacs religiously and does water changes more often than you go to the bathroom - Your plants won't make it. They need at least a little dirt/fishpoop to use as fertilizer.

Also, beware of MTS (snails) on any plants you get. my tank has had them for 6+ years from a clipping I got from a friend. Never been able to get rid of them, Never will.

Dipping your plants in a 1:20 ratio of bleach for a short while should deal with any hidden eggs.

Or 2-3 assassin snails will do the trick. lol I have to go to lfs to see if they'll give me some ha. My assassins wiped out an infested tank in weeks

I've actually been wondering what to do in the event of a tank that's "too clean".

I'm using everything I can think of to keep the parameters spot on and if it ends up too much what should I do?

Add more fish?

Feed more?

I've actually been wondering what to do in the event of a tank that's "too clean".

I'm using everything I can think of to keep the parameters spot on and if it ends up too much what should I do?

Add more fish?

Feed more?

Clean is not that bad. Most tanks are clean initially. However, the act of cleaning can be disruptive or impractical. I have not done a gravel vac in years.
The key to stability is consistency. Regular water changes, consistent light period and regular dosages of fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom