There are wirery leaves coming out of my jungle val?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have buds on the end of them too...

Well if they have buds then they are going to flower. Be sure to take pic's as in all the years I've been in this hobby I've never seen Jungle Val flower.

I made a mistake of cutting some of the stems, because they were going out of my tank..... I just got them yesterday from aquariumplants.com The cyperus helferi and bacopa caroliana are melting and the amazon sword is ruffling at the edges. Normal? Is this because they are in a new environment? I am very impressed with their plants though. Here's a pic of the tank. image-3962355768.jpg image-3522421381.jpg image-102817481.jpg image-1097264063.jpg

You need to take the Bacopa out and plant each stem individually. Plant them so the leaves of one stem are almost touching the leaves of the stems around them. Leaving them bunched together will cause problems with the lower stems.

New plants always have to acclimate so you need to give them time.

Don't cut anymore of the stems off that rise above the water line as they most likely need to be above water to flower.

The stems will tend to rot and they will loose their lower leaves if not planted correctly. All stem plants should be planted individually except some of the really small stems like Rotala mini butterfly or Rotala wallichii which can be planted with 2 or 3 stems per hole.

I moved around the bacopa.....and cut the dead strings on the val. I feel like all my plants are going to die. Are t5no 14 watt bulbs enough. Dose flourish twice a week and excel daily.

I moved around the bacopa.....and cut the dead strings on the val. I feel like all my plants are going to die. Are t5no 14 watt bulbs enough. Dose flourish twice a week and excel daily.

Just give them some time. Chances are some plants will do well and some not as well. Quite often plants will go through an adjustment period after shipping especially if they had previously been grown partially submerged.

I have a dual t5NO to my 20g long shrimp tank along with Bacopa caroliniana, crypts (wendtii, undulata), dwarf sag and moss. All are doing fine. The Bacopa is not growing as fast as it was when it was in my other tank with higher lighting but that also means that I am not trimming it back every 1-2 weeks. Once it gets established and you start replanting the trimmings you will have a lush forest. It has a nice color and can be trimmed back as needed (to give a staggered look).

In time if you feel like your tank requires more lighting then you can possibly add a second lighting fixture. I believe you can get a dual t5HO Odyssea for about $35 online. I almost went that route but then i considered the cost of T5 replacement bulbs. If changed annually then you would have paid more in bulbs than in the fixture after a couple of years. That's why I switched out to a Finnex FugeRay LED (and moved the t5NO to the shrimp tank). No bulb replacement costs, however, when its time is up then it its done.

Sorry that this is a long post and I don't mean to cause any confusion. Just be patient with you new plants and post updates when you can.

What size is your tank? It looks deep? The only good thing is the plants you have can mostly tolerate lower light. The bacopa is the only questionable one. So you can either see how it does under your light or upgrade. It's a personal choice. One thing that can help is up your dose of Excel to 1ml per 5 gallons of tank water.

Something else, I'm pretty sure from looking at the picture that the bacopa is in it's emersed form meaning only it's roots were grown under water so you will notice the leaves changing over the next weeks.

If you do decide to upgrade the depth of the tank will determine what fixture will work best.

The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration, if not previously mentioned, is that liquid carbon is notorious for melting vals.

Yeah Joey I completely forgot about that! It never melted my Corkscrew Vals even in high dosages but Jungle Vals are often sensitive to it.

Yeah Joey I completely forgot about that! It never melted my Corkscrew Vals even in high dosages but Jungle Vals are often sensitive to it.
I read somewhere that they can be acclimated to high doses of it if you start slowly and woke your way up. So it never melted yours, Janis? That's strange.

It never melted mine nor did I slowly increase liquid carbon. If you research enough you'll find that many people can use liquid carbon and not have melting issues with not only Vals but also anacharis. I believe it has a lot to do with a tanks individual water chemistry.

My tank is pretty high at 19". I dose flourish excel, and my vals are beginning to melt a little. They are all still adjusting. The tank is beginning to get dirty. I did a water change two days ago so when should I do my next one? Will water changes hurt the plants more? Also, why does my amazon sword have ruffles? Thanks everybody. :)

Either a good 2 bulb T5HO fixture with good bulbs (I use Geisemann bulbs in mine) or a BML fixture would work on that tank.

Are you sure you got an amazon sword? You know there is a ruffled sword. Can you post a good picture of it?

Will I be fine waiting till december for a new fixture? What is a bml? I am positive it is an amazon sword...here's a pic

ForumRunner_20130929_163213.jpg

ForumRunner_20130929_163156.jpg

I think you should be okay although the tank is pretty deep for a dual t5no. I've kept swords with a single T10 or T-8 back in the day. Maybe I was lucky.
If the plants don't make it until December, a less expensive source of plants are members on this forum. Especially stem plants.

BML = Build My LED
http://www.buildmyled.com/

Back
Top Bottom