TheresaM's live bowl project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Inspiration: all of the wonderful nano tank threads and photos being posted recently; reading about keeping various live foods for fish; Aqua_chem's dirted bowl information and photos.

Tank: Petco 1 gallon glass footed betta bowl, ordered online while on sale with free shipping

Substrate: Eco Complete capped with Tahitian Moon Sand

Plants: tenatively dwarf sag, ludwigia, moss (undecided), dwarf water lettuce

Stock: bumblebee nerite, MTS, 2-3 tiger shrimp

Extra goodies: I ordered scuds that will go in this bowl. Middle daughter is going to collect some live water from the Red Ceder River on the MSU campus:

img_3189610_0_c059375e6ed948ee862d9d3464ff706f.jpg

I was thinking about looking into collecting water locally but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix or not.

Very curious to see where this project goes!

Another one! Mate three projects at once. WOOOOO

How's your budget looking for all these? hahaha

Ssh!!! It's not too bad actually, of the 3 projects the biggest expense was the actual Spec 5 itself.

And it's a learning experience, right? :whistle:

You also come up with the best ideas ever

John,
Trust me I am not insane

Scuds shipped today, hope the bowl arrives tomorrow. Depending on how they're packaged the other option would be to put them in this:

img_3190194_0_52cc28c2360edf8688d361ae191a652b.jpg

Had the youngest daughter collection some water from a small pond near our house over the weekend. Water tested well other than a pH higher than I expected. Just threw in some misc plant bits and mosses, have it sitting on a window ledge :whistle:

I'll be keeping along this thread. I'm currently hatching a plan for a 20g long that will be an attempt at a self-contained ecosystem, an idea that has been long discussed on this forum but generally criticized by many, myself included. I imagine these tanks will have a decent amount of overlap.

Where'd you get you scuds?

Also, I'm not sure that there's a point to capping EC, especially with a sand. It's not like dirt or any other substrate that needs to be kept down. I also don't think you really gain anything from locally collected water past the initial water, and in that case, you might be better off getting it from a lake or pond than a river.

I'll be keeping along this thread. I'm currently hatching a plan for a 20g long that will be an attempt at a self-contained ecosystem, an idea that has been long discussed on this forum but generally criticized by many, myself included. I imagine these tanks will have a decent amount of overlap.

Where'd you get you scuds?

Also, I'm not sure that there's a point to capping EC, especially with a sand. It's not like dirt or any other substrate that needs to be kept down. I also don't think you really gain anything from locally collected water past the initial water, and in that case, you might be better off getting it from a lake or pond than a river.

A 20 long will be awesome, definitely looking forward to seeing that build (y)

Scuds I got here, purchased some very nice Endlers from him not long ago: LIVEFINS | Endless Endlers, Round Tail Guppies, Scuds, Live Plants, Naja and More!!!

I've never used EC, if it's easy to plant I won't use the sand. Really found planting in dirt a pain, even with a small gravel cap.

Another question for you: I'm planning to set up something similar in a large jar for my daughter to have at college. I'm looking at something similar to this. Would the lid be a problem?

Last edited:
Seems small. I would see how the larger bowl does first.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't wait till it goes high tech. I'm gonna have to pick up my game with my 10gal I'm setting up. Still deciding whether or not I pull up what I've done and dirt it before I go any further. It isn't stocked yet other then some local pond snails. I think I may though just to experiment you know.

Well this project is on hold temporarily. I had ordered the bowl from Petco and got a shipping confirmation email. Without reading it put in in my orders file. Going thru that today I noticed that while it does say shipping confirmation the actual bowl is backordered. Ended up canceling that and ordered a 1g with lid from Target.

I got mine from a local craft store Michaels' maybe? I was unimpressed with Target's bowls.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh that's a beautiful jar, and it immediately has me thinking of what I can put in one :eek:.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looks like this is going to turn into a 2 bowl project. I have a standard .5g bowl and the lidded 1g should be here by the end of the week. The scuds arrived today! They're in a temporary holding container until I open the EC and start working on the .5g later today. Really fascinating to watch!

img_3191412_0_21d36643924909b9dfb4f6a290f550ff.jpg

I had placed an order for some mosses then afterward got to talking with Han about my various projects...box arrived today with more bonus goodies than what I had actually ordered. Extra plants are a bit out of control but the last time I got a 10g from the Petco $1 sale it ended up turning into my Endlers tank so I don't think the spouse will go for that again :hide:

img_3191412_1_92964ccc9623674cdaf5530d1db85e52.jpg

This is the jar that I'm going to set up for the college daughter. Figure I'll just pack it full of plants, maybe add a shrimp or two:

img_3191412_2_fa2ccfb28cb86ddec3abfe44bb05bd2f.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom