These plants, this light, will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is aprox 24" x 12" and 14.5" high, 66L or just over 17g, with a dual 24" T5, using one actinic and one 6700k bulb. I'll be using eco-complete planted red. Plant list:

• Cryptocoryne Wendtii
  • Cryptocoryne Willisii
  • Hygrophila Difformis - Water Wysteria
  • Limnophila Sessiliflora - Dwarf Ambulia
  • Rotala Rotundifolia - Dwarf Rotala
  • Vesicularia Dubyana - Java Moss
Any comments? Enough/too much light for the plants? Should I use ferts and CO²? Would my tank be considered low light, medium light, high light? I have a millions questions but I'll refer back to my first question and leave it at that.

I would say you would be a low-medium light setup...how many watts do you have? I am not sure about the actinic one...I've heard that it will not benefit the plants. I could be wrong...

I think you will be ok. I don't think you will see huge growth out of the ambulia or the rotala. Both of them will thrive with a bit more light than that.

FYI, there is nothing dwarf about rotala R. It will grow all the way to the top of the tank.

Last edited:
If you switch the actinic out for 6700k or one of those pink lights (waiting for my bulbs to expire before I try it out) you'll be up there in high light, meaning CO2. I'd say you could grow everything there, it won't be very colorful though, just green.

Agreed, if you swap the actinic, CO2 would be required, but you could grow just about any plant.

Well from some of the research I've done, my plant list will give me some red colour with high light and/or nutrient manipulation. The actinic is just for viewing colours and occupying the slot so I don't have too much light. I'm hoping to get the tank setup and growing with the one grow light, and in the future when I have CO² ready, I want to swap the actinic for another grow light and get Rotala Macrandra (Giant Red Rotala). If I need more colour for viewing I have room to add another T5 single or dual bulb.

Is it a T5 or a T5HO light? Two non-actinic T5 bulbs would put you in the medium light range. Two non-actinic T5HO bulbs would put you in the high light range.

Back
Top Bottom