Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thinking about ordering a Co2 System, just double checking

I've been thinking about ordering a Co2 system for a while now. I've done a bunch of research, but I just want to double check before I drop some money. So, could everyone please double check my understanding?

So, it seems like everyone likes the Milwaukee regulator: $88 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

After that, I'll need a check valve, tubing, tank, and a diffuser/reactor. In the interest of saving some money, I'd like to hold off on the PH controller for right now. So, I can adjust the flow rate using the regulator to hit my target Co2 concentration. Not quite as accurate, but still a relatively stable way of adding Co2 so long as I sneak up on it.

I've got one of three options for nighttime. I can either hook up the solenoid to a timer and shut it off at night, hook up an air pump/airstone and leave the regulator running, or don't worry about it and let it run 24/7.

Am I correct on all of this? The only thing I don't want to do is have large Ph swings and stress my fish. Also, this will be in a bedroom. Is Co2 a bad idea then? I thought about getting an alarm for an RV, but all of those are for carbon monoxide...

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

You're correct on it all, yes. I've used that regulator for years with no troubles - without a pH controller, so that's not a problem.

I do have the solenoid (that comes with that unit) on a timer to turn it off at night. Timers are cheap, I'd recommend you go that route. Set it to turn on 1 hour before your lights do and turn off at the same time as the lights.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ame one I use as well. 1st time user... wasnt easy to get it tine tuned... but once I did... I havent touched it in a week and probably wont for at leat 6 months

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestes View Post
The only thing I don't want to do is have large Ph swings and stress my fish.
I cannot recall ever reading a post/article on stess related to pH swings due to CO2.

pH swings due to changes in buffering are stressful, but people routinely cycle their pH with CO2 without any harm.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

All good to hear guys! Thanks! The only question I have left, is what does everyone think about having a tank with CO2 in a bedroom? I can make an argument either way, that's why I'm asking.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Sliced Bread

Having CO2 shouldn't swing your decision about having a tank in your bedroom. If you want it in there, go for it!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I just wasnt sure if anybody had any horror stories of a regulator leaking out of th blue. The aquarium is already in my bedroom now. I got my dry ferts in yesterday, so I think the co2 system is going to be next.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Sliced Bread

If you do get a leak, you'll either be able to hear it, or it won't be fast enough to hurt anything. I wouldn't be worried.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I had my CO2 cylinder in my bedroom for several years without issue. Even had a bad seal the first time I hooked it up and emptied it in less than a week. Other than having to refill the thing too early, no real problems even with it in the bedroom.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Guyver Send a message via MSN to Guyver Send a message via Yahoo to Guyver Send a message via Skype™ to Guyver
I agree - if you're really worried about leaks, make sure when you're assembling things the first time that you use teflon tape on the threads and don't over-tighten (one light torque with a wrench should do it, especially if you're using gaskets). And once it's all set up, do a soap-bubble test. I'm getting ready to set up my first pressurized CO2 system, but I've been using the same regulator and bottle in a keg setup for years. Once you get the hang of it, CO2 systems are fun.

Tags
co2, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com