This hardscape or that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanofish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if anyone has done this, but I bought a piece of dw at the lfs thinking it would look good. When I put it in the tank though, it really wasn't as I imagined it. Lucky for me I had some spare pieces left over from what I thought was a failed DIY driftwood project. I decided to play around with those some more and would like some thoughts on the results.

***Disclaimer-I suck at taking pictures and also have a crappy camera. As in so bad I can't figure out why if the tank light is on, the picture is just a blur of light :facepalm:***

img_1891121_0_18848cf4a513a4847f543c55e2d3e678.jpg

I love this vertical piece. It doesn't show up very well in this picture but it does have a very nice shape and I think it fits the size of the tank.

img_1891121_1_4a7cabf22d8d261959569307089e6bda.jpg

This was me thinking the vertical piece might not be enough of a hardscape. I like the shape of the piece on the right, I'm just not sure if the two work together.

img_1891121_2_42535407e35c41d851f7ca78ca943b8b.jpg

Another bad picture of both pieces from a slightly different angle.

Should I just go with one piece? Or would a repositioning make both look good together?

Hi first off when taking a photo of a fish tank,angle the camera so the flash doesn't come straight back at the camera {hope that makes sense?} I would go with the two piece's personally:) But really depends on what else your putting in there hardscape wise or plant wise?

Hi first off when taking a photo of a fish tank,angle the camera so the flash doesn't come straight back at the camera {hope that makes sense?} I would go with the two piece's personally:) But really depends on what else your putting in there hardscape wise or plant wise?

Haha that makes sense. I'll need to work on my angles. I do know that turning on the light and turning off the flash doesn't work. I think I need to steal my sister's camera.

The hardscape would be just the driftwood, although I haven't given much thought to rocks. Plant wise I'm going for various crypts, an aponogenton in the back corner, and a dwarf lily. Those are going to be my test plants, I might end up adding to them. I want kind of a lush jungle type look with lowlight plants...or at least the best I can do.

I was partially worried that the second piece was acting as a focal point. It's only a 29 gallon, so I know having two focal points is a no no.

I like it. Some moss around one (or both) of those would look awesome, but that's just my .02 :D

There's a lot you could do with that piece on the right - you could face the branches upwards, snap off a piece and lay it side ways .. etc. etc.
Either way, it looks really cool the way you have it now. I think your tank is going to look awesome once you start getting some plant growth in there!

Try putting the vertical piece behind, near, or around the horizontal piece. Sometimes two pieces near each other can really enhance both pieces. I'm currently doing the same. Do like both pieces tho.

Definitely play with your driftwood. The largest and most solid piece can be used as a tree trunk, so to speak, then have the other branches coming out of it. You'll eventually find a look that gets you really excited. My husband's method is literally dropping the wood into the tank and however it comes to rest, that's what works for him. Amazingly, his method is very effective. :rolleyes:

I know having two focal points is a no no.

The first rule of decorating, and it does apply to aquascaping, is to do your focal points in odd numbers. It makes it look more natural, it prevents symmetry which is unnatural, and it is most pleasing to the eye. For this tank, I would do either one or three. If you only have two pieces of DW, you would have to stick with the one focal point. I do think that one point would really pop with the right plants, like the moss suggested, around the base to suggest it's one piece of wood.

Here is a result of me playing around and putting them together. Unfortunately I was dumb and left the one piece out of the water, so it's not in a sinking mood.

My other tank I dumped in tons of driftwood, and it came out great. Either it's easier with a lot, I got lucky, or I cared less then lol. IS this way better looking or the original?

img_1893383_0_23a4e394e55cde86366c231dfb53ea5f.jpg

I do like them both pointing up. Might need to rethink my plan though, in regards to plants since I was going to do a concave design. Moving them farther apart might create that even focal point.

Dumb question, but is moss the only driftwood plant that can grow vertically?

Really nice pieces of driftwood. I actually like the first pic with the wood forming a pointed arch. Ur fish may like that as a shelter. See how that works combined with the other piece. Keep us posted with pics. Good luck

I like the look of the first pic as well, I was also looking at it and would like to see what it would look like if you moved the right piece more right, and the other piece lay down instead of standing up....put them close together like another poster suggested to make them look like one piece and have them sit to the right of your tank.....nice big leaf plant to cover where they don't join.....

I played around some more and finally found something I liked. I just couldn't find a way to make it arched so that it looked natural, at least to me. I did try though.

This is basically the second picture, just further to the right and with the two pieces closer together. It looks natural...to me anyway. No flash this time, but you can see the cloudy water I need to fix.

img_1894688_0_0c22ed1b587313900e4eb34be57223ec.jpg

What else will you be using for decor?

At the moment that's it for a hardscape, unless I decide to go on a rock hunt. Not sure if that would add to it or not. I have a test run of plants ordered to see if I can keep them alive. Water sprite (1 floating) , Crypt wendtii brown and green (3 each), Crypt lucens (3), Crypt undulata(4), dwarf water lily(1), and Aponogenton boivinianus(1). I'll probably want to add more since I want lots of hiding places, but that's it for now.

I can't wait to see some plants in there! Oh I love watching people build tanks!

I think it's Going to look greeat! The wood has some nice branches....crypt wendtii brown is a nice contrast to all greens....I have it growing in my tank with 2 15 w bulbs above it and I dose liquid plant fert when I do water changes....seems to be continually growing new leaves!

Hope it works in your tank!

What kind of fish were you planning to add?

I can't wait to see some plants in there! Oh I love watching people build tanks!

I think it's Going to look greeat! The wood has some nice branches....crypt wendtii brown is a nice contrast to all greens....I have it growing in my tank with 2 15 w bulbs above it and I dose liquid plant fert when I do water changes....seems to be continually growing new leaves!

Hope it works in your tank!

What kind of fish were you planning to add?

What size tank do you have? I'm only running a single 20w bulb, but I was told that would be perfectly fine for all the plants I have ordered at least. Might need to experiment if I decide on others.

My plan right now is to have the wendtii brown in the back at the center or offcenter. I guess I have to see how it all looks first. I'm sure I'll end up rearranging things.

I was planning on chili rasboras, Sundadanio axelrodi 'blue', and
Yunnanilus cruciatus. Possibly another shoaling fish or just some of one of the smaller Betta species. I think I'll get some horned nerites as well. I've never kept snails.

nanofish said:
What size tank do you have? I'm only running a single 20w bulb, but I was told that would be perfectly fine for all the plants I have ordered at least. Might need to experiment if I decide on others.

My plan right now is to have the wendtii brown in the back at the center or offcenter. I guess I have to see how it all looks first. I'm sure I'll end up rearranging things.

I was planning on chili rasboras, Sundadanio axelrodi 'blue', and
Yunnanilus cruciatus. Possibly another shoaling fish or just some of one of the smaller Betta species. I think I'll get some horned nerites as well. I've never kept snails.

They are in my ten gallon. I have two, one is doing better than the other....

I like your fish choices! I had to look them up and they look interesting!

How big is your tank

I love my chilli rasboras! I find they are more interesting in larger schools though I currently have 17 in with my betta
Tank is looking good btw

Niki- It's a 29 gallon, so I'll have plenty of room for fish. Do you use CO2 as well?

maestromad- I had only been thinking of 11 each, but maybe I'll up that amount for a bigger school.

Hopefully the plants will arrive tomorrow. I'll start a new thread then. I picked only Southeast Asian plants, but I might start looking up others. It's more important to me that I get the look I want, than that it is regionally correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom