Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run a couple open top tanks, they are the ones with pressurized CO2. I had more concerns about CO2 building up under the glass and reducing available O2. Than loss of CO2. With pressurized CO2 loss is easy to compensate for.

Some fish get startled at lights on, and can jump. My daughter was walking by the main tank (72g) a couple days ago and said "hey there is a fish on the floor". I went over, he wasn't dried out, so i plopped her back in (silver tip tetra). She was pretty messed up for an hour or so. I kept her a net, and put her in front of the filter outflow to get some water moving over her gills. She did recover and is doing fine now.

As for electrocution, well... I have dropped more than one light into a tank,m I have also broken heaters in there. Unplugged the item, and removed it. Electrocution is not a huge danger, unless you reach in to remove an item with power going to it. Also, fishy stuff should be plugged into a GFI plug or powerstrip.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as more outgassing of CO2, I don't think you'd notice the difference. I have a wood canopy on my tank which is open at the top and the back. I have DIY CO2 on a 55 and have had few problems.

Temp and evaporation...my tank evaporates A LOT because of the lights (2x96 watt). I've never had glass on this tank so I can't comment on how much less the tank would evaporate.

Is the outlet from the AC blowing over the top of the tank? That would certainly cause problems with evaporation. I do have some problems in the winter with my heater keeping up temps when the house gets cold but I think it's more that my heater is undersized for the tank. I do not have AC. Honestly I'd try and bump your AC up to 72 (or higher); it will take some of the stress off your heater and your electric bill!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezmo
I run a couple open top tanks, they are the ones with pressurized CO2. I had more concerns about CO2 building up under the glass and reducing available O2. Than loss of CO2. With pressurized CO2 loss is easy to compensate for.
I have a HOB filter and so gas exchange is not a factor (wish I had a canister, but its only a 20 gallon tank). I could see in your situation that it would be a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfound77951
Is the outlet from the AC blowing over the top of the tank? That would certainly cause problems with evaporation. I do have some problems in the winter with my heater keeping up temps when the house gets cold but I think it's more that my heater is undersized for the tank. I do not have AC. Honestly I'd try and bump your AC up to 72 (or higher); it will take some of the stress off your heater and your electric bill!
I think you misunderstood my post. It's the winter months where the cold outdoor temps are making the heater work, not the summer where I have the AC on. My natural gas bill would skyrocket if I kept the whole house warmer for the tank, and I'm not putting a space heater in the room just to keep it warm!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post
Yup, I did...it appears I was actually responding to the temp numbers in the first reply post, not your post....sorry about that! But yes, I have the same problem with my heater not keeping up with the cold in the winter (only when the temps in the house fall below 65).
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

newfound was replying to the problem I'm having with the open top configuration. No the AC vent is actually on the floor about 3 foot from the tank. I also have a vertical fan rotating on high in my room 24/7. Unsure if perhaps I have a bad heater or if, by chance, the digital thermometer I just got from the Drs is junk. I do have a strip thermometer on the front glass just above the substrate line and it reads about 77.

Sorry 7Enigma...not trying to hijack! I'm enjoying this post though too so thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have switched both of my tanks over to open-top in the past year and couldn't be happier. The light fixtures hang from the ceiling over both tanks and can be adjusted to the exact height that will provide the best light coverage. I can also retract them toward the ceiling to give me more room to work when it comes to time to do maintenance. Light intensity is noticeably better without the glass tops, clean or not. I've never had any jumpers *knocks on wood* and can't really think of any major disadvantages to having an open-top tank
Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I really don't have the option of an open top tank since I can't drop any lights from the ceiling (I live in an apartment and I doubt the manager would like the holes). I prefer using a top in any case to cut down on evaporation and keep fish from jumping out (that didn't stop a pearl gourami though that jumped out when I had the top open for maintenance).
Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smn723
Sorry 7Enigma...not trying to hijack! I'm enjoying this post though too so thanks.
My mistake. There is no hijacking a thread as far as I'm concerned, as long as it has something to do with the topic. Most often it helps others and possibly the OP if its a related topic.

I am really getting a kick out of these replies because its basically what is going on in my head right now. Who's going to win I'm still not sure. But I have an old house with plaster walls so attaching something to the ceiling is NOT going to be happening. We were on vacation 2 weeks ago and came home to our curtains on the floor in the living room. Due to the extreme heat from a recent heatwave the bolts just ripped right out after having been in place for 3 1/2 years. I can't chance having my arms in the tank only to have the lights come crashing down into the tank and making me crispy!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very true 7Enigma! Do you have mounting legs and a splash shield on your light? I guess I never really worry about my light falling into the tank. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smn723
Very true 7Enigma! Do you have mounting legs and a splash shield on your light? I guess I never really worry about my light falling into the tank. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
I have a Coralife 65w 24" light for my 20 gallon tank. It does not have legs but I know I can purchase them (or make my own). This fixture does have an acrylic shield on it......hmm...I'm wondering if since I have a glass top I don't need the shield? That might let more light through....thoughts?

Tags
glass, glass top, open top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com