Thoughts on open top vs. glass top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally leave the acrylic shield on my two Coralife light fixtures even though they are both on glass tops. It might cut down on the light somewhat but I haven't done any checking to see if that is so.

gheitman said:
I personally leave the acrylic shield on my two Coralife light fixtures even though they are both on glass tops. It might cut down on the light somewhat but I haven't done any checking to see if that is so.

Thanks for your post. Anyone else have/have not removed the plastic shield?

I didn't remove the plastic shield on mine because I don't turn off the light during maintenance. :) I just don't want to splash water up onto a hot bulb while doing water changes and top-offs since I run open top. I'd imagine you would gain some light by removing the lens but I don't know how noticeable of a difference it would be. Worth considering though since you have the glass top.

All my planted tanks are open top. I recently took the eggcrate off the 55g and left it open. So far, my Yoyos are staying in the tank. I feel that the plants get more light without glass tops. I have come to hate glass tops mainly because they get so dirty and although I make sure to do tank maintenance every week, I don't have time to Windex all the glass tops I have. ;)

I've also started living dangerously and took the acrylic covers off my fixtures. I need to clean them and replace them, but haven't gotten around to that just yet.

The only problem I have is evaporation and on my larger tanks (29g and 55g) its not a huge problem between water changes. The 3g and 5.5g need topping off alot more frequently though since they have smaller water volumes.

IMO open top is the way to go. My future planted tanks will be open top as well.....:D

So I can confirm a noticeable difference with the acrylic shield off of my Coralife fixture. I think if you are running with a glass top (or maybe even without) to seriously consider removing it.

It probably also allows heat to escape a bit better as well since its not forced to only radiate out through the top heatsink but can now push out through the bottom as well. My only possible concern is it heating up the glass top and seams but I can't imagine it could get to the point where it would fail (lets hope).

So a big thanks to smn723 for cluing me in to removing the shield. I can't really quanitate the loss but I would say for it to be noticeable to my eye it has to be greater than 10%!

I went ahead and removed the acrylic shield from my two Coralife light fixtures that are over glass tops. I don't anticipate any problems with heat and if there was that much light being filtered out then this should help my plants.

gheitman said:
I went ahead and removed the acrylic shield from my two Coralife light fixtures that are over glass tops. I don't anticipate any problems with heat and if there was that much light being filtered out then this should help my plants.

Did you first have the lights with the shields installed and then remove them? Or just when you first got the light? I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the light increase without the sheild.

Since my 58 gallon tank has a glass tops, I removed the acrylic shield from Coralife light fixtures at the very begining. Two benefits: reduce heat from the lamp so that it can last longer, and have more light to tank.

The glass lid becomes dirty now and need clean. However, if I removed the glass lid, I think I would put back acrylic shield. There is a problem, some plants grow so tall that they reach the glass lid, and when without the lid, they will reach the acrylic shield and get burned. I don't know how to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom