Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thoughts on substrate?

Hey guys. I have a substrate question for you guys. I have been doing some research and I think this is the substrate plan for my new 46 bow front setup. I would like to use some Flourite and cap it off with a black type of sand. I know that the local fish store has some Caribbean black sand, but I was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions. I am looking to go into the deep and and go full heavy planted tanks. I have been dabbling in high light plants for quite some time now and since I have the full equipment I feel as if now is the best time to do it. So would Flourite capped with sand be enough nutrients to get the plants started? Or should I consider throwing in some osmocote plus under the sand as well?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go with Ada Amazonia you won't be disappointed. The growth rate of my 2 tanks is a lot different. One has Ada and the other has organic soil topped with sand. The growth in the Ada tank is far better than the one with soil and sand.

Also plant colour and general health is a lot better with the Ada. If you get the "light" version then you don't need to do as many water changes on start up as you do with regular Ada soil.

I'd also invest in the 3 stage substrate additives. clear super, bacteria 300 and the other one (can't remember the name). It's sold in a pack of 3 and is ment to stop BGA from coming through.

After using Ada soil I wouldn't recommend anything else

Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Go with Ada Amazonia you won't be disappointed. The growth rate of my 2 tanks is a lot different. One has Ada and the other has organic soil topped with sand. The growth in the Ada tank is far better than the one with soil and sand.

Also plant colour and general health is a lot better with the Ada. If you get the "light" version then you don't need to do as many water changes on start up as you do with regular Ada soil.

I'd also invest in the 3 stage substrate additives. clear super, bacteria 300 and the other one (can't remember the name). It's sold in a pack of 3 and is ment to stop BGA from coming through.

After using Ada soil I wouldn't recommend anything else
So you would say ADA soil the entire thing? Or cap it with black sand would be good?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
So you would say ADA soil the entire thing? Or cap it with black sand would be good?

Just plain Ada soil, don't see any need for sand. The sand tends to get gas pockets and strangle roots depending on grain size.

Tags
ate, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com