Threading Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cre8byconstance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just ordered some java moss that I plan to thread through driftwood. I've read to use fishing line for this, but have never done this before and wanted to see if anyone out there had some advise for a beginner? Or knew of any great tutorials online that could help? Any feedback is appreciated.

Assuming proper growth and sustainment environment, Java moss is quite good at sticking to and flourishing around whatever it comes in contact with. There is no need to "tie" it to anything as long as you don't have fish who like to eat it or otherwise mess around with it. That being the case, tying it down won't do much good anyway.

It seems to be doing well on this piece of wood in my feeder tank, with no help from me whatsoever:

javamoss.jpg

Assuming proper growth and sustainment environment, Java moss is quite good at sticking to and flourishing around whatever it comes in contact with. There is no need to "tie" it to anything as long as you don't have fish who like to eat it or otherwise mess around with it. That being the case, tying it down won't do much good anyway.

Flow will put it everywhere around your tank. I used cotton thread. Just tie at one end and loop it over the moss and around the desired area. Once the thread rots away the moss will be stuck there. I used a needle just to make it easier to tie.

Flow will put it everywhere around your tank.
Never had that problem. Once it sticks it stays. But I can see how might happen if you just dump it in there. Careful placing in cracks, crevasse and around edges worked for me.

If you have snails the thread will be gnawed. I spent an hour tying plants with cotton thread only to have them all floating free in 2 weeks. I used the gel super glue or fine nylon thread the next time.

I like to get it wedged in the wood, I've read a couple threads where a fish has gotten it's gill plate snagged on line. You can kind of cut notches in the wood with a utility knife (very carefully) and cram the moss in there. It will eventually attach to the wood. You can also use stainless steel screen to get a mat going. You can also get some super glue and use that to stick it wherever you'd like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, everyone! Superglue sounds the easiest with the least possibility of fish snags. I didn't realize that was safe to use in a tank.

Seachem makes it too. You can use regular non toxic crazy glue gel I believe. May want to do some research on that first though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are many methods to get your JM to stay put. Glue, thread, fishing line, rubber bands, hair nets (or similar), etc. Basically anything that is aquarium safe, removable (or disolves) and will hold it in place til it grabs on. All depends on what you want to spend or already have on hand. I even read somewhere about a person who used panty hose. Not sure how that worked out as the person never came back and updated their thread.

Back
Top Bottom