tie'ng off plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - evil Nick's Album: my 29 gallon mid planted

if you look on the pertruding branch on my driftwood youll see a new piece of java fern. I sort of just placed it in a split in the branch. I actually have three new plants off the one fern now and 2 are next to each other and one is placed on a knot below in the main trunk. They keep coming out tho.

I want to use my clear fishing line to tie them down but I KNOW the GF will complain about being able to see the line. I was thinking of covering the base with some of my java moss since its basically doubled in size.

What I want to know is does tieing the roots off and covering them with moss in such a small state hurt the plant? Im worried that as it grows it will strangle itself on the fishing line or that the moss will keep it from getting nutrients it might need.

Should I be concerned with this? thanks

The moss idea is solid.. i use zip ties, they come in all colors, brown, green, black.. makes it easy to blend into the scape. You can also use superglue, some even work under water!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cut the roots. Tie the plant to the wood with brown cotton sewing thread. Or a rubber band. Or anything else. The roots witll regros and hold the plant firmly in place, then you can remove the thread.

Tried tie ng them off with thread and fish line. Prob the most annoying thing I ever attempted. Gave up after 30 minutes of aggregating my fish. Might try some elastic bands with the moss.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use brown or green cotton thread. It dissolves on it's own.

Superglue is great, but I've never used it. Seen it used at club Monster Tank builds.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use brown or green cotton thread. It dissolves on it's own.

Superglue is great, but I've never used it. Seen it used at club Monster Tank builds.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried thread and it was just annoying to try and tie off to the driftwood. I couldnt hold the plant and tie at the same time. I would have to remove the entire piece of wood to do it right and that isnt gonna happen.

Ill try elastic and just cover it with some java moss at the base.

Back
Top Bottom