Time to try CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurphyFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The new tank is up and so far things are going pretty well. It took about a week to start growing more algae though :(. I don't care about wiping the glass etc everyday, but I'm worried that the plants are getting covered with it as well. It looks bad and I don't want the algal growth to interfere with the normal leaf functions.
I have the potential for a whole lotta light and that is probably the cause of the algae I think (please tell me if I am wrong!). Currently running 2*54w T5HO over a 75gal. one bulb is 10000K and the other is 6500K. The other half of the fixture has another 10000K and an actinic. I would like to be able to leave all the lights on for at least 8 hours a day.
Do you think taking the plunge and adding pressurized CO2 will allow me to do that and not have plants covered in algae? The substrate is EcoComplete and I dose daily with Excel, also weekly with Trace and haven't used anything else since getting the Eco.
Any other hints? I am looking at the stuff from the eseasongear site- the complete kit with the solenoid and the bubble counter. It is all on sale now. Should I get the pH controller thingy from there too? I think I can fit a 10# tank in the stand, hope that will last a while.

If you want to run a 4x54W T5HO fixture on your tank, you really should add a CO2 system. Also look into doing a fert regimen. The Excel and Trace are providing the carbon and the micronutrients that plants need, but you're probably lacking in macronutrients. A pH controller is nice, but not necessary. You can plug the solenoid into the light timer.

I don't have a pH controller, but I have my co2 split off to two different tanks. A drop checker is easy enough, even though it took me a few days to figure it out. I got my regulator from the same place. Mine was about $89. I will tell you that if you get one, the tubing that comes with it is almost too small. I had to take hot water and warm up the tubing to get it to fit over my bubble counter barb and the barb on the check valve hanging off my reactor.

Very good to know, thanks guys. You have convinced me to give fancy CO2 a try. I will be happy to run all of the lights, although you are right I will need a better ferts regimen. Right now I have test kits for PO4 which shows the level as 0.2 and NO3 which is at 10ppm. I haven't seen a potassium kit but I have the Seachem macros set. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom