Tiny earth worm looking thing in my planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docrak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found some unwanted visitors in my planted tank. They look like tiny earthworms, about 1.5 inches long and about .070 inched in diameter (2mm). I just noticed them today. They reach out of the gravel and search for food. There must have been about 5 poking out this morning. The problem is I don’t know what they are of they are harmful. This is the same tank I treated for internal parasites a while back. All of the fish seem fine. Like I said they look like tiny earth worms.

These are almost definitely some type of harmless nematode that can result from too much debris collecting on the bottom. As long as they are not attached to the fish then you can assume they are benign and will not harm anything, but I'd increase water changes and gravel vacs, reduce feeding somewhat, and see if they don't go away. Your fish might enjoy them as a snack.

TankGirl said:
These are almost definitely some type of harmless nematode that can result from too much debris collecting on the bottom. As long as they are not attached to the fish then you can assume they are benign and will not harm anything, but I'd increase water changes and gravel vacs, reduce feeding somewhat, and see if they don't go away. Your fish might enjoy them as a snack.

I've though of moving my loaches to that tank to do away with this little pests. My sailfin mollies and corries won't touch them. Infact they seem to freek out my corries as they pop out of the gravel.

Thanks.

I was able to catch one. They kind of look like a leach and move like a leach. The are flat not really round. The head is the pointy side to the left. This is the worm streched out, they can compress to half this size.

worm1.jpg

True color

worm2.jpg

One thing I know is these little buggers hate salt. I haven't been able to find any info on the web regarding what they might be.

SsSarahsS said:
To me it looks like some kind of a leach. More so in the second picture.

I forgot to mention that they can stick to the side of a smooth object. I had a hell of a time getting it out of my gravel vac tube I cought it in. I've just been doing some research on leeches. Seems like they can be introduced with live plants and from live food. Both are the case with this aquarium. My problem now is how to kill them.

The worst part is that they seem resistant to regular doses of anti-parasitic medications. I've used Jungle's Parasite med, Mardel's CopperSafe. I think the only way to kill them is to go brackish. My sailfin mollies won't mind it, but its a planted tank with ludwiga, baccopia, a couple of swords and some dwarf sage. I'm not sure how those plants would handle the salt.

They do look like leeches. You can dose one tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water, and no, your plants won't care for it but they will bounce back from it.

Keep us posted!

Be careful with the meds, doesn't Coppersafe harm the biological filter (I may be way off base here)? :?

I do not think copper will actually destroy the biofilter, but I am not positive. I do know that inverts cannot tolerate copper, and though plants can use some tiny amounts of copper they won't do well with this kind of treatment.

I am wondering if loaches might just take care of the entire problem :?:

Back
Top Bottom