Tips for Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 planted tanks, and they look a bit boring. What are some good tropical freshwater plants for aquascaping? I'm looking for floating, carpet, semi-aquatic, anything to make it more interesting and better for the fish. In my main tank I have crypt. wendtii, java fern, java moss, and some unidentified plant that just randomly floats around the tank. I appreciate any advice!

Hi, what type of lighting are you using in these tanks. Substrate? Do you plan to inject co2 in any of them?

I have substrate specifically for planted tanks, I think they are fluorescent lights, and I am planning to do whatever is necessary for the plants.

Well I'd start researching the differences between low tech vs. high tech planted tanks so you can set some parameters for each specific tank. Certain plant species have different requirements in terms of light, ferts, and carbon needs.

Check out aquascaping websites and learn about rule of thirds and various hardscape options. Tropica is a great site to get inspiration and learn about the species of plants used in the scapes.

Inspiration for aquascapes and planted tanks - Tropica Aquarium Plants

Also check out Definite Aquascape TV on YouTube.

If you're uncertain as to your light level of intensity on your tanks, try and research "PAR vs. Distance." You can also post specifics on your tanks like dimensions, volume, specific lighting, etc. If you want to upgrade lighting to achieve higher light, state a budget and your goals. Or if you want to go high tech planted, do you want to invest in a pressurized co2 system or use liquid carbon like Glut? Lots of variables and we need to narrow this down to specifics rather than too generalized.

Last edited:
Are amazon sword and water wisteria good plants, and can either of them be grown partially above the water?

I dont know what you mean by "good" ??
They are easy beginner plants.

I don't know if they'd grow emersed. Ive never tried it.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By "good" I basically just mean that people generally like them and the pros outweigh the cons.

I've grown plenty of Swords. Regular Amazon Swords grow too big for my small tanks, so I have Dwarf Chain Swords instead.

I prefer fine leaved plants, so Wisteria always looks too weedy for me, but it's easy to grow and lots of people here love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amazon swords can easily be grown emersed. The leaves become rounder. Majority of plants sold by big companies are all grown emersed. Its cheaper for them and fast , larger yields. Problem is when we get them we suffocate the plant while we drown it. Plant generally melts back and has to regrow.

Buying plants from hobbyist is great because most times they come from tanks and that means less likely to.melt back. Crypts constantly melt back due to any change. They are sensitive that way.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for aquascaping, its and art. Research some general art rules and such. Read about negative space and texture, color, etc. When selecting plants you have to make sure they will thrive in your tank.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom