Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tips for my planted aquarium.

I'm rather new at the planted aquarium but I gave it a go. I planted the Anubis, long grass? Moss and the little leaved things in the left of the picture.... So far they've been grow decently but do I need to have any added in supplements or more lighting than I've already added. The ground is sand substrate with gravel on top. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411710991.523358.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	251017

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What kind of light and bulbs are in the hood? How long do you run them daily? I'd say from the picture you have low light especially off to the sides as it appears in the picture the light illuminates mostly the center of the tank. The grass plant, depending on what it is probably won't get enough grass to thrive but time will tell. They also do better when split into smaller portions and planted about 1/2" or so apart. The other plants are mostly low light and the plant to the left looks like bacopa. With the lighting you have you should at least give plants a small amount of ferts weekly after a WC. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive would work well.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
What kind of light and bulbs are in the hood? How long do you run them daily? I'd say from the picture you have low light especially off to the sides as it appears in the picture the light illuminates mostly the center of the tank. The grass plant, depending on what it is probably won't get enough grass to thrive but time will tell. They also do better when split into smaller portions and planted about 1/2" or so apart. The other plants are mostly low light and the plant to the left looks like bacopa. With the lighting you have you should at least give plants a small amount of ferts weekly after a WC. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive would work well.

It's the fluval tank... So it has the normal led lights bulbs that are in the centre of the tank. And then I purchases the big black strip that goes over the whole length of the tank - more leds. As for running the lights i do have a timer
But I've just been turning them on and off manually. Usually
Giving the tank 10 hours of light or so. Thanks for the info on the fertilizer.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411824353.779388.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	251081 and ya the way the tank is designed it's hard to get the lights in the back corners. Not sure how I should fix that

Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey there!

First off: great little scape you did there on your first try!

Secondly: in my opinion the lights will be insufficient as well as far as your dwarf hair grass goes! They are quite demanding when it comes to lighting and co2! Anubias and (bacopa/ludwigiia?? in the left) should be fine tho!

Make sure you don't plant the rhizome of the anubias in the gravel, since it needs air around it (maybe tie it to a rock)

As for the substrate: sand is what we call inert, it doesn't retain any nutrients but esthetically it's the best! The fish prefer it too, any time! That being said you might have to add some roottabs in your gravelnear the roots of the plants

Tags
aquarium, plant, planted, planted aquarium, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com