Tips for PPS Pro...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered the PPS Pro Pac from Greanleaf...I have been doing a lot of reading and research about it, just wondering if some of you more experienced folk could give me any helpful hints, tips, or advice... I like to be prepared...

Thanks in advance...

Did you order three dosing bottles instead of two?
Add 25ml of Excel or glut to the traces bottle when making it up. Helps prevent mold while sitting until used up. Also shake the traces bottle well each time before dosing.
OS.

Did you order three dosing bottles instead of two?
Add 25ml of Excel or glut to the traces bottle when making it up. Helps prevent mold while sitting until used up. Also shake the traces bottle well each time before dosing.
OS.

Just ordered the two. I will add the 25ml of exel to the traces bottle....

If your tank never goes below 10ppm nitrates then you may not want to do the nitrate part in your mix. Adding extra nitrate is mainly for very lightly stocked tanks and in a normally stocked tank will just make you have to do WC's more often. Many people get three bottles so they can keep the nitrate fert separate from the potassium & phosphorus. You probably already know this but I thought I'd mention. You'll like the GLA ferts. OS.

If your tank never goes below 10ppm nitrates then you may not want to do the nitrate part in your mix. Adding extra nitrate is mainly for very lightly stocked tanks and in a normally stocked tank will just make you have to do WC's more often. Many people get three bottles so they can keep the nitrate fert separate from the potassium & phosphorus. You probably already know this but I thought I'd mention. You'll like the GLA ferts. OS.

I have read about this but I am glad you brought it up....actually my tank rarely ever gets up to 10ppm. What would you suggest... I will mix the nitrate in a separate bottle just unsure whether to add any...

If you have trouble keeping NO3 up to 10ppm, then you should go ahead and add it to the K and PO4. Plants need at least 10ppm NO3 for growth. There are some very rare, hard to grow plants that need less NO3 and extra PO4 to force the red colors but they are not practical plants for even pretty experienced planters.
What are the plants you have? Maybe I can give you some tips on them from what I've learned. Os.

I would appreciate any tips you could offer...If I can remember all the names..and spell them correctly..
Red Ludwigia( had it for only a week, underside of the tops are already turning red), wisteria, Java fern, java moss, water sprite, amazon sword, dwarf hairgrass, anubus, moneywort, hygophilia compacta( has pen holes in leafs), ..I think that's it..http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218826&stc=1&d=1390693226

Attachments

• 20140118_123040.jpg
    20140118_123040.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 78
OH WOW, nice tank! Very attractive layout with the combination of rock and DW.
The red ludwigia needs to be where the light is the strongest. Also it needs some current flowing on it as that seems to help keep the lower leaves on better. It will always loose lower leaves when it gets real tall. That's normal for it. Just trim off the lower half when it gets too bad and replant the top part. Being red, it likes a higher PO4 also. About 2 ppm PO4 will keep it happy. The swords, Hygro, Ludwigia, and wisteria also do better with root tabs close to them in the substrate, even with PPS dosing. If you aren't dosing Glut every morning, I strongly recommend it. You can use Excel or buy Metricide 14 on Amazon. You dose about 1 ml per 3 gal to start and then as growth speeds up in a month or two you go to 1 ml per 2 gal. Glut also helps fight algae. Hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck, OS.

Thanks for the compliment..i do dose excel but I am getting ready to order the metricide 14 until I bite the bullet and go pressurized co2. I do use the flourish tabs under everything really. about once ever 2 weeks I got to shorten the wisteria as it hits the top of the water and causes to much shade. I don't know why I keep putting off goin the co2. I guess its a little daunting. I need some good advice on a regulator...lol..been looking at the Milwaukee...what is it...the ma957..maybe..just unsure you know?...

Is it a 36 or 46g bowfront. I love bowfronts. I love the way they make the sides so visible from the front. Yeah, Milwaukee or Aqua Tech are good regulators. Two things you don't want to skimp on. The bubble counter and the needle valve. Get the best you can afford. Those are the two things most people have trouble with. OS.

It's a 36....Been looking at Greenleaf's regulators. It looks as though they come with descent needle valves....haven't run across many reviews for them...

Are you talking about Green Leaf Aquariums? If so That's what I have. They're expensive, but are rated as the Cadillac of CO2 systems. I got the top model that comes with a timer instead of the pH controller. Each system is assembled and tested per order. OS.

I have the choice regulator and love it. The needle valve is definitely the low point in the reg though Its super hard to adjust but once you get it set it stays.

I have the choice regulator and love it. The needle valve is definitely the low point in the reg though Its super hard to adjust but once you get it set it stays.

What makes it hard to adjust...I have no experience with any type just trying to get some info..thanks in advance

It's just not the best for micro adjustments you have better luck with setting the psi lower and that makes adjustments easier.

It's just not the best for micro adjustments you have better luck with setting the psi lower and that makes adjustments easier.

Bear with me now....with having to use a lower working pressure to make your bubble count easier to dial in...does that effect the diffuser?

No you just have to find a good pressure that makes it easy to adjust. I run my co2 through a powerhead so it makes it really difficult to adjust at higher working pressure because their is no back pressure. You'll be fine it just takes a few days to get the co2 at the right levels.

Back
Top Bottom