Tips for preventing anaerobic pockets in sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I switched to a sand bed in my aquarium when I moved a couple of months ago, and I was just looking for tips to prevent the deep sand from developing anaerobic pockets. I've been trying to stir the sand in between the plants that I have, but it's pretty difficult because they aren't completely established yet.
The sand bed varies in depth from 0.5" to 2".

I switched to a sand bed in my aquarium when I moved a couple of months ago, and I was just looking for tips to prevent the deep sand from developing anaerobic pockets. I've been trying to stir the sand in between the plants that I have, but it's pretty difficult because they aren't completely established yet.
The sand bed varies in depth from 0.5" to 2".

Some say Malaysian trumpet snails do the trick. I just stick my gravel vac into the sand, it only goes half way up the vac so it gets really stirred. Don't go too crazy with it however, the amount of gas produced is pretty negligible and the gas is practically neutralized when it comes in contact with oxygenated water.

Two inches isn't too deep... If you have some fish that dig occasionally that should do the trick.

Otherwise you can gently rake the sand bed with a fork something every once and awhile

Ok, thanks for the tips. So it's fine if I have some black pockets if I just stir them up when I'm doing a water change?

Ok, thanks for the tips. So it's fine if I have some black pockets if I just stir them up when I'm doing a water change?

Yep, that's about it. Your bound to get it more where the sand's 2 inches, 0.5 is generally shallow enough for oxygen to make it's way in there.

Back
Top Bottom