Tips on buying love plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy from reputable sites like liveaquaria.com, aquarium coops website or from Dustin's fish tanks website. I've heard good things of all of them. You can also buy from people on this site. Check out the classifieds section of this site for sellers with a very large variety of stuff for sale. Its been hit or miss for me with sites like Amazon or eBay. Some came in great and others were complete trash.

Tip for buying plants would be don't buy them when its cold. When I buy plants I put them into a 30g grow tub I have after giving them a quick peroxide bath. I'll then see how they do and trim off portions to move to other tanks. If I'm setting up a completely new tank then I'll visually inspect them and then plant directly in the tank. Probably not the best method but its worked out so far.

Depending on who you buy from yes plants can come with snails. I keep snails because they are good cleaners and they are another natural part of the ecosystem. Some can't stand them as they can multiply quite rapidly( ramshorn snails that is) and are considered an eye sore.

Give your plants a bleach bath and quarantine before adding them to an established tank. The snails nor their eggs are going to survive bleach. You will have to Google the amount but I think its a quick dip in a 50\50 solution.50 water 50 bleach then rinse and put it in a dechlorinating solution like water with seachem prime to remove the bleach.

You can buy from reputable sites like liveaquaria.com, aquarium coops website or from Dustin's fish tanks website. I've heard good things of all of them. You can also buy from people on this site. Check out the classifieds section of this site for sellers with a very large variety of stuff for sale. Its been hit or miss for me with sites like Amazon or eBay. Some came in great and others were complete trash.

Tip for buying plants would be don't buy them when its cold. When I buy plants I put them into a 30g grow tub I have after giving them a quick peroxide bath. I'll then see how they do and trim off portions to move to other tanks. If I'm setting up a completely new tank then I'll visually inspect them and then plant directly in the tank. Probably not the best method but its worked out so far.

Depending on who you buy from yes plants can come with snails. I keep snails because they are good cleaners and they are another natural part of the ecosystem. Some can't stand them as they can multiply quite rapidly( ramshorn snails that is) and are considered an eye sore.
Straight peroxide? and how long?

Back
Top Bottom