tips on how to hang plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I like having plants grow with roots submerged but with leaves out of the water. I guess my tanks are lazy semi-paludariums.

Anyways, are there any tips to help me hang plants so that they don't fall into the tank, and don't fall out of the tank either? I'm not sure how to rig a DIY hanging basket, I guess is what I'm trying to say ;)

Hm, for the actual basket part, I think you could use plastic craft mesh (check Hobby Lobby or Michael's, etc.) or eggcrate (check the lighting department at Lowe's or Home Depot). Super glue, once cured, is aquarium safe, and so is silicone (don't use anything with mold/mildew inhibitors). If that doesn't work, you might want to try "stitching" the pieces together to make a box using clear fishing line.

I'm drawing a blank on how to make an over-the-side "hanger" for your plant basket, but at least I got you off to a start on the actual basket part! LOL

severum mama said:
Hm, for the actual basket part, I think you could use plastic craft mesh (check Hobby Lobby or Michael's, etc.) or eggcrate (check the lighting department at Lowe's or Home Depot). Super glue, once cured, is aquarium safe, and so is silicone (don't use anything with mold/mildew inhibitors). If that doesn't work, you might want to try "stitching" the pieces together to make a box using clear fishing line.

I'm drawing a blank on how to make an over-the-side "hanger" for your plant basket, but at least I got you off to a start on the actual basket part! LOL

Thanks you! I actually just thought of a breeder box jetajockey mentioned in another thread. It looks like a hob filter, except it's clear plastic and intended as a breeder box. If I come across one, i could stick a plant in there.
But i love the idea of plastic mesh sewed into a box! I love craft ideas for winter vacation ;)
Actually even an old tupperware container could work, if i figure out how to hang it over the rim of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom