Tired and bored of my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently have a 28 bf planted tank and am bored with it. I have a mixture of gravel and sand, and HATE the gravel. Every time I move a plant the debris gets stirred up everywhere. The white sand looks fake, (it's Petcos white sand) the grain is to big. I NEED help.

I want to get rid of some plants but not all of them. I want to switch to all sand and have a kinda "rocky" scape as I think this will still look natural and also require less maintenance. Idk what sand to get tho, I want one with not as big of grain. All advice is welcome.

Why not get an under gravel filter. I don't have one but I've heard loads of good things about them and I'm considering getting one myself. I believe they significantly reduce gravel debris. I'm sure someone on here could tell us more about them.

How would you clean the sand. You would probably have the same problem.

Why not get an under gravel filter. I don't have one but I've heard loads of good things about them and I'm considering getting one myself. I believe they significantly reduce gravel debris. I'm sure someone on here could tell us more about them.

How would you clean the sand. You would probably have the same problem.

Undergravels don't function with sand or plants. Plant roots clog it and sand would end up under the filter.

Currently have a 28 bf planted tank and am bored with it. I have a mixture of gravel and sand, and HATE the gravel. Every time I move a plant the debris gets stirred up everywhere. The white sand looks fake, (it's Petcos white sand) the grain is to big. I NEED help.

I want to get rid of some plants but not all of them. I want to switch to all sand and have a kinda "rocky" scape as I think this will still look natural and also require less maintenance. Idk what sand to get tho, I want one with not as big of grain. All advice is welcome.

I use black sand. I like the CaribSea line of sand.
Lots of people use PFS.

Any tank, if you move a plant, you will get some debris. Try to plan out the tank so plants don't need to be moved, or just reposition on water change day. I just do weekly PWCs and Plant food. I rarely vacuum unless needed.

Too fine a grain is more liable to compact. So there is a line.

Ya I've heard under gravel filter are bad news. The reason Im thinking sand is cause the debris will sit on top of it so I can easily siphon it off. With the gravel is gets down into it and is just a pain

I use black sand. I like the CaribSea line of sand.
Lots of people use PFS.

Any tank, if you move a plant, you will get some debris. Try to plan out the tank so plants don't need to be moved, or just reposition on water change day. I just do weekly PWCs and Plant food. I rarely vacuum unless needed.

Too fine a grain is more liable to compact. So there is a line.

I typically change my aqua scape around every few months so I have something new to look at. Whenever I do it I take all the plants and dw out, do a water change and put them back in differently and this time it was just such a mess and a pain.

Back
Top Bottom