Tired of being a slum lord...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am finally sick of being a slum lord lol

dhfio5.jpg

This is my Journal of "A Ghetto, Revitalized"

As you can see, I let the tank go. I mean REALLY let it go. Hard to believe there are/were 3 larger Tetra and 2 Neon Tetra still in that thing. I thought there was only 1 "big" tetra and wasn't sure but thought there was 1 Neon around somewhere. This is what it was many MANY full moons ago...

348oznd.jpg

It was so long since I vacuumed the bottom and cared for it appropriately, I had to throw the driftwood out. I decided to toss the plants and start over all except for one lone plant I need help IDing. I am 99% sure it is an Anubis of some sort, it does have a small flower that reminds me or a cala lily (sp) a little.

Anyway. Time to level the blight.
1oqg47.jpg

I sucked more of the debris out after I took this picture.
Time to dust off the old CO2 setup and get it refilled ($21 at a local welding place in CT) and yes I removed the 3+ year old water from the bubble counter and pit in some new distilled water.

6ymaa8.jpg

Picked up a few things online at Amazon especially the correct tubing and some check valves for the CO2.
2rzw5yh.jpg

One of my main goals with this tank is to get Dwarf Baby Tears and let them grow as a carpet and cover the entire bottom. It was my goal with the last tank that as you can see, was abandoned rather quickly. I would like to eventually get a 75 Gallon tank but in a small apartment that isn't really in the cards at the moment. Would be nice to already have the plants stocked from this tank that's for sure!

One thing I DID forget to buy is drop checker solution. I will learn to make my own one day but for the small amount I am going to have to use, I am just going to buy it, it cost me $7.

So I had the LFS get me some Dwarf Baby Tears on a couple pieces of lava rock so that I could start my carpet. and I got my "mystery plant" (can someone help me ID it) and threw them in the tank and got the CO2 "officially" set up in the tank. I may have to move it because I don't remember if right next to the filter is good or bad, and I planted one of the plants too close to it, but I want the plant where it is. Is it better at the foot of my HOB filter, to help with circulation, or will that disperse the CO2 at the surface more causing me to lose more if it? You will understand better later on in the pictures.

Anyway. My wife is an artist, paint, sketch, etc. I have ZERO eye when it comes to "design", and I wanted this to be an US tank not just me. When my daughter (14 months) is old enough she can design her own with awful pink rocks and plastic treasure chests bubbles and all that crap but THIS tank I wanted to be stone instead of wood. I feel in LOVE with 1 stone at the LFS (Shout out to WetPets in Vernon CT) so I made her come with me this morning to buy all we would need.

(I know its sideways sorry)
2sb254l.jpg

9u64wj.jpg

So off we went to the store to rummage thru the bins ($2.99 per lb we got 7 lbs + the "different" rock was $10.99) She cringed at that price, but the way I look at it... It is a 1 time purchase for hopefully YEARS to come. Hell together if I didn't make us coffee in the morning we would spend that in 2 days buying it at D&D or 1 day at Starbucks lol

I loved the rock to begin with, but once I saw the color REALLY come out after dunking it in water my jaw dropped. Anyway, off we went to buy it and get home and put it in the tank.

2a7vd05.jpg

So now that I had the "formations" the way we wanted them, it was time to start planting!!!

25t9kkl.jpg

We wanted the Anubis? (Mystery plant) on top of the lava rock so I tied it down with some fishing line and attached the shamrock type plant to it as well. I know that it is also ground cover that will grow very fast, but I think I am going to just let it grow all around that rock and pretty much cover it aside from the plant on top, and just keep it trimmed. Also if I decide I don't want the DBT (dwarf baby tears) as a ground cover I can just let that run wild :)

I think I did a good job if hiding the fishing line as much as possible too. Last time I used it I didn't really try and hide it and you could see it forever.

It is REALLY starting to come alive now! I am waiting to put my filter in until after I plant because I am not sure if I want in on the left or the right side of the tank. *I look back later and realize I should put it in earlier so that planning the plants out would be easier.

2pze4vc.jpg

Well so far so good BUT I seem to have bought enough plants for about 3 tanks :whistle:

21orcic.jpg

That mystery plant is going to look AWESOME there if I can get it to flower again! But (especially if it IA an anubis plant) I want to move the Anubis that is in the back right to a better spot and i think I have the PERFECT spot with a PERFECT background for it!

rcj70g.jpg

Alright!!! Looks to be about finished And time for help (for me), Suggestions, and hopefully some answers.

I started spreading the DBT around a little with my AWESOME new tools (TY Amazon) but I have never done anything like this before. Am I doing it correctly? (obviously I did this before I put in most of the other plants) I stopped and put the rest of the plants in first so I knew where NOT to put the DBT.

nqy92d.jpg

Now that the Tank has settled some and the water is a little clearer (tho it looks cloudy to me tbh any suggestions?) I was hoping people could help me ID the plants. I didn't think about this until after, but one of the things I really like, is when people label what he plants are in the tank. Then (from my own experience) when someone likes a plant in the tank, it is easier to get it because you now the name!

At the moment I will be dosing 3 ferts.
I am sure I overpaid for them but it is not long term as I want to either make my own where I have 2 bottles one for every day one for every other (or something like that) or buy it from someone (preferably here TBH) so that I can do it that way
29nufkk.jpg

The suggestion I got from my LFS was the Propel 2X a week, Advance daily, and Flourish every other day (I was thinking Mon/Wed/Fri maybe?)

snji34.jpg

So this is my "Ghetto, Revitalized" Tank. I am going to go pretty hard with ferts and CO2 for a couple months and REALLY try and get the DBT to grow and cover quite a bit of the tank. I also in mid August am going to be out of town for a week in Vegas playing pool so I don't want to have someone over or under feeding the fish and throwing everything off.

Tank Spec's
29 Gallon (Roughly 30x12x18.5)
Lighting "Current" brand? 2 Coralife Bulbs: 1x 6700K 24W T5 HO 1x10,000k 24W T5 HO
Filter: Tetra Whisper EX30
Difuser :Not sure, Small glass one lol
Drop Checker: Jardli Model (JAC02DC01) (Amazon $10.95)
CO2 INdicator: Fluval ($7.64 Amazon)
Milwaukee Needle valve purchased probably 7-8 years ago. WELL WORTH IT ($85)
Aluminum Tank: They swap it every time I fill it, I want to say it was either $100 or $45 originally I don't remember)
Check Valve: Pawfly (Amazon 6 for $5.57)
Tubing: Cheep Amazon tubing for CO2 (Amazon 26' 3/16" + 6 suction cups $8.69)
7 Lbs of "rainbow rock" @ 2.99 per LB from LFS
Lava Rock (LFS $10.99)
Plants (LFS about $45ish)
What I bought new right now is marked, the rest I had

:thanks: ahead of time for all the kind words about how this is the most AWESOMEST tank you have ever seen in your entire life!!! :brows::lol::lol::lol:

Questions
1.) While I am away, I know that ferts have to be dosed at least every day. I have someone coming to check on our cats every other day so I am going to leave the already measured fertilizer in a couple Tupperware containers marked which days they are for, and then they can just dump the 1 container "per day" into the tank when they come. I realize it might not be the best timing every day but its better than nothing for a week. My question is, is there a best way to do this?

2.)I am interested in PPS-Pro dosing I THINK. I in the past did EI ( I believe it was) Where I had micro and macro nutrients and I did I THINK something like a pump of 1 every day and 2 of the other every day or something of that nature. TBH I don't remember, and I don't remember if I was supposed to do a big WC every week or not. What I DO remember is that the plants grew so fast I could have had a plant farm and sold them.

I guess it is important to know my "ultimate goal" here with the tank. I want it to be relatively low maintenance. I know there will be pruning involved and that is fine. Re-planting is certainly fine also, I just don't want to have to cut and replant every week if I don't have to after say September/October.

3.)Does it look like I am doing the DBT properly? I pulled a couple pieces off very carefully so make sure I got decent roots. I have heard mention of root tabs, is that something I will need?

4.) Any suggestion on fish for later in the year? I do NOT like angel fish, I prefer not gourami, and I LOVE schooling fish. I am thinking maybe an Otto or 2 just to make sure things stay nice tidy eventually. I am partial to Neons for some odd reason, I think its the color, but my wife would like some fish that are a little bigger.

OK all done :) I am sure I will have more questions as I go on but what do you all think?!?

I forgot to add, I am eventually going to switch to LED lighting (depends how far into the money we get in Vegas lol) and I now just about NOTHING about it. Last I knew about lighting it was still leaning pretty strictly towards WPG so... just saying lol.

Also if there is a good place to start reading online about PPS-Pro let me know.

So I had this idea in the same vein and wanna throw it out at you all. Since most natural habitats are destroyed would any of you ever consider a natural biotope of a polluted waterway? I'm talking aesthetically not chemically. I'm toying with the idea of using garbage instead of caves or shells maybe some driftwood but really overgrown stuff. Maybe throw a shopping cart in there - just like in nature! Have you ever seen anyone do this? I remember as a boy seeing an exhibit at the New England Aquarium with two before/after tanks of the Boston Harbor and I guess that's where I got the idea... it looks pretty gooood I think....????

Nice revamp on the tank.
1. If you are gone for the week, skipping ferts won't be bad unless you are running super high lighting. I usually do a 3-5x dose the day I leave.
2. Highly recommended PPS-Pro. I got a kit from Green Leaf Aquariums back in December 2013 (I think $20-30 at the time) and still have plenty of the macros left. I bought an extra dosing container to mix the KNO3 separately. I was already getting nitrates from the tank's bioload and wanted to better handle on controlling the levels. Also, I am using 3x the recommended amount of phosphate in the macro mix as I've found it helps control certain types of algae (GSA). You can read more at the GLA site.
My tank requires minimal maintenance. Daily dose of ferts and fish food. Weekly water change. Trim plants every few weeks. Occasional algae scraping on the front pane. Rinse filter media every few weeks. No vacuuming.
3. Yes, plant the DBT either singly or in very small groups. The challenge is keeping it in the substrate. Speaking of which, substrate fertilizers are recommended (tabs, pellets).
4. I am a fan of nano fish (ember tetras, micro rasboras). A large school of small fish will make the tank look larger than it is.
As for lighting, I have 3 different Finnex LED models: FugeRay, Planted+, and 24/7. Sort of a progression over the years. With LEDs you don't follow the WPG as their energy needs are different. Measurement of PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) is more appropriate.

So I had this idea in the same vein and wanna throw it out at you all. Since most natural habitats are destroyed would any of you ever consider a natural biotope of a polluted waterway? I'm talking aesthetically not chemically. I'm toying with the idea of using garbage instead of caves or shells maybe some driftwood but really overgrown stuff. Maybe throw a shopping cart in there - just like in nature! Have you ever seen anyone do this? I remember as a boy seeing an exhibit at the New England Aquarium with two before/after tanks of the Boston Harbor and I guess that's where I got the idea... it looks pretty gooood I think....????

I like the idea! I THINK I saw something like of like this before but I dont remember. Even so. It's an awesome idea, go for it!

Nice revamp on the tank.
1. If you are gone for the week, skipping ferts won't be bad unless you are running super high lighting. I usually do a 3-5x dose the day I leave.
2. Highly recommended PPS-Pro. I got a kit from Green Leaf Aquariums back in December 2013 (I think $20-30 at the time) and still have plenty of the macros left. I bought an extra dosing container to mix the KNO3 separately. I was already getting nitrates from the tank's bioload and wanted to better handle on controlling the levels. Also, I am using 3x the recommended amount of phosphate in the macro mix as I've found it helps control certain types of algae (GSA). You can read more at the GLA site.
My tank requires minimal maintenance. Daily dose of ferts and fish food. Weekly water change. Trim plants every few weeks. Occasional algae scraping on the front pane. Rinse filter media every few weeks. No vacuuming.
3. Yes, plant the DBT either singly or in very small groups. The challenge is keeping it in the substrate. Speaking of which, substrate fertilizers are recommended (tabs, pellets).
4. I am a fan of nano fish (ember tetras, micro rasboras). A large school of small fish will make the tank look larger than it is.
As for lighting, I have 3 different Finnex LED models: FugeRay, Planted+, and 24/7. Sort of a progression over the years. With LEDs you don't follow the WPG as their energy needs are different. Measurement of PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) is more appropriate.

1.) I don't THINK the lighting is super high. I may just cut the light cycle down in hours
2.)Good to know and that's for the suggestion on where to get them:thanks:
3.)TY
4.)Any recommended reading on PAR? I know its the internet, just google it... but there are lots of BS links that are full of poor information

The exhibit was great. They kept a couple fish in there like little vagabonds. Yeah I have to do it. Wait til you see my planted garbage tank! Maybe a Coney Island biotope with whitefish?

Love the revamp!

Think of a couple options like Green Neon Tetras, Ember Tetras, Green Kubotai Rasbora.

I'm running out the door but more later!

1.) I don't THINK the lighting is super high. I may just cut the light cycle down in hours

2.)Good to know and that's for the suggestion on where to get them:thanks:

3.)TY

4.)Any recommended reading on PAR? I know its the internet, just google it... but there are lots of BS links that are full of poor information

I've had success in my Dutch in a wide range of par levels. I started at about 60 par at substrate and I've gone as far as 140 at substrate but that brang on green water so I'm back at about 80-100. I'm hunting dark reds and rapid growth tho so I'd say aim for 50-60 and you should be fine!

Remember tanks are easier to balance at a lower lighting level so keeping light to a minimum untill the tank matures is vital [emoji106]

So. Is there a trick to keeping the tubing on the diffuser? I've got it cranked up pretty high right now and about once a day it falls off.

Also, based on that last picture, this wouldn't ATM be considered heavily planted would it? I have the c02 cranked up pretty high, well over 100 bubbles a minute and the drop checker has BARELY moved if it has at all.

So. Is there a trick to keeping the tubing on the diffuser? I've got it cranked up pretty high right now and about once a day it falls off.

Also, based on that last picture, this wouldn't ATM be considered heavily planted would it? I have the c02 cranked up pretty high, well over 100 bubbles a minute and the drop checker has BARELY moved if it has at all.

Yea heavily planted it basically no substrate visible at all, I'd say your moderate. The diffusers tend to take a few days to work properly, however if it doesn't sort out over the next few days it may be clogged so I'd soak it in bleach and rinse it out and then soak it in prime for an hour or so and rinse again.

What's your working pressure at? Should be around 30-40 psi.

Do you have 4dkh solution in the drop checker?

Placing the diffuser under your filter outlet will give you better spread also. Make sure the diffuser is as low in the tank as possible so the bubbles have maximum time to absorb [emoji106]

Yea heavily planted it basically no substrate visible at all, I'd say your moderate. The diffusers tend to take a few days to work properly, however if it doesn't sort out over the next few days it may be clogged so I'd soak it in bleach and rinse it out and then soak it in prime for an hour or so and rinse again.

What's your working pressure at? Should be around 30-40 psi.

Do you have 4dkh solution in the drop checker?

Placing the diffuser under your filter outlet will give you better spread also. Make sure the diffuser is as low in the tank as possible so the bubbles have maximum time to absorb [emoji106]

The diffuser seems to be working properly, in fact yesterday there was LOTS of tiny bubbles from it, and floating around the tank.

ill be honest, I am not sure the pressure tbh. Do you mean the pressure from the tank itself? it has needle regulator so it is much less than the (I think around 60 psi) pressure overall in the tank.

I have this as my solution. I just purchased it this weekend.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052UAL7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am glad I did out it under the filter then :) I have the "foam" cover on my filter as well. I thought that would help break up the bubbles as small as possible. The bubbles that were floating around yesterday were TINY :) almost couldn't see them which is GREAT I think. Smaller bubbles, more surface area to absorb it right? I am just surprised that after nearly 2 days of pretty heavy CO2 the drop checker hasn't really changed. It is still pretty dark blue, maybe a LITTLE lighter.

Last night, overnight, the tubing came off. So at most it was off for 7 hours as soon as I went to bed.

My light cycle is 6:40-7:20 AM on and 5:15PM-10:15PM. The tank is pretty close to a window so I don't want to give it too much light because of algae. Been, there done that lol.

I just realized you said filter OUTLET not inlet. Will that be a problem?

Eventually I would like to switch to a canister filter but for now HOB is where it is at.

Only been a couple days but I do feel like it looks WAY better. The water has certainly cleared up at least!
e7fa7a3d3985194ee82be75ff3a53859.jpg

Only been a couple days but I do feel like it looks WAY better. The water has certainly cleared up at least!
e7fa7a3d3985194ee82be75ff3a53859.jpg

Yea filter inlet is fine aswell [emoji106] ooh so your reg doesn't have 2 gauges? Are you running a paintball setup with a mini reg?

I'm running 1 bps in a reactor on the 120 litre and I'm lime all day, maybe go to 2 bubbles and see what happens. If the checker is staying blue it's not even close to being enough.

Seems weird?

Yea filter inlet is fine aswell [emoji106] ooh so your reg doesn't have 2 gauges? Are you running a paintball setup with a mini reg?

I'm running 1 bps in a reactor on the 120 litre and I'm lime all day, maybe go to 2 bubbles and see what happens. If the checker is staying blue it's not even close to being enough.

Seems weird?
It is greed lol. Dark green but green!

**** colorblindness lol. I think because of the background it looked darker than it was. I think also the plants really are just using it really fast. I have to inspect them when I get home from work, but it looks like the DBT are growing :). I'm going to take pictures of it every day for a week or so, and look at the difference.

The co2 is cranking atm... more BMS than I can count, I bet 10-20. I am keeping a close eye on it 2x-3x a day to see the change (hence the drop checker picture) and to make up for if the diffuser comes disconnected again. Seems like whenever there is color progress it fslls off and boom, back to dark blue. I have no fish so aside from WAY to high killing the plants I don't mind the excess co2, until it's under control. I'm thinking saturating it today should probably be enough.

I know eventually I'll have to get the solenoid on a timer or it will end up too much, along with getting it down to at least just a couple BPM, because I can't think this is sustainable long term. I'll go through a tank once every month or 2 which is WAY to much for my setup.
bf17162603a851545044a35f31c8bef9.jpg
29f8999e1c3f8d2afcf13fb808194fb7.jpg
2cc0895bc1014996c5d1a06cefd5904e.jpg

I am not sure how to imbed a YouTube video but here is a quick video of the MASSIVE CO2 being pumped in lol. Ignore than the last couple minutes are sideways, but its a good view of how well the bubbles are breaking up and floating all over the tank.

https://youtu.be/T1bDx12oSgo

Back
Top Bottom