Tissue culture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking around on liveaquaria and there aquarium plants and the first plants at the top they say are tissue cultures? I am not to familiar with this and how it works. I know that you can take some cutting from some stem plants is it the same thing for All aquarium plants? Does it have to be a stem plant or can it be any sort of plant?
Also how would I be able to do this with my plants?

Tissue culture just means that it is a plant grown from a tissue culture, which is basically like a test tube. They take a piece of a plant, sterilize it and then inoculate it with hormones so that it makes bunches of clones of itself.

With most stem plants you can cut them anywhere along the stem and replant them.

Tissue culture means taking a cutting of the tip of the plant and allowing this cutting to mature into a second plant. As far as i know, this can be done with all plants, aquarium or not, so long as there is enough light and nutrients, it would be a good idea to add aquarium plant nutrients to the tank and keep the lights on. The only problem with this is the second plant is a clone, it is genetically identical to the first plant so if one unexpectedly dies, chances are the other will too.

It's not just propagation, it's chemical and physiological manipulation of the a plants environment to induce unnatural horizontal growth and budding in an environment similar to an emersed setup. It's actually a very technical process that will require specialized reagents that might be difficult for a hobbyist to acquire.

Here's some reading: Cryptocoryne tissue culture / micropropagation Part 1 | Cryptocoryne Blog

Back
Top Bottom