tms bad for plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read on a review about tahitian moon sand is bad for plants cause it suffocates the roots. Is this true?

aqua_chem said:
Any sand is bad for plants if you let it get compacted like you are describing.

What do you mean? So adding black sand in my aquarium was a stupid idea then?-.- woooow

Yes, it's true if the sand get compacted. I've seen Tahitian Moon sand and it looks very fine to me which makes it more susceptible to compacting.

Find a way to keep it stirred so it doesn't compact. Snails that dig through the sand, some fish that dig, maybe even freshwater clams. Or a long wooden dowel to stir manually.

blert said:
Yes, it's true if the sand get compacted. I've seen Tahitian Moon sand and it looks very fine to me which makes it more susceptible to compacting.

Find a way to keep it stirred so it doesn't compact. Snails that dig through the sand, some fish that dig, maybe even freshwater clams. Or a long wooden dowel to stir manually.

What fish? Will corys do it? Also what if the sand was added after everything was settled?

Any sort of sand, especially fine grained sand, can compact in such a way that water carrying oxygen cannot penetrate it. This causes anaerobic pockets to form, which are bad for roots and can further cause growth of anaerobic bacteria, a whole 'nother mess of a problem.

Some manual maintenance might be required (a chopstick is good for this purpose), but it's not a real issue. My tank is a combination of Fluorite and TMS and I see no problems. Just stay on it.

IME the only fish that will keep your sand from compacting are also fish that will uproot all of your plants in the process. Corys only skim the surface so they would only stir up the top most grains of sand.

i would recomend MTS or another type of snail that burrows in the sand. they sift through without disturbing the roots.

I guess I should've researched :/ but thing is, I have flormax on the bottom and all the plants have been there before the sand was even adding. Basically all the roots are in the flormax. And they don't have any mts in any of the pet shops :/

My petsmart has loaches, not sure what kind tho. Will look into tomorrow.

you can get mts for cheap easily from other hobbiests.

aa108 said:
you can get mts for cheap easily from other hobbiests.

I'm low on funds since i ordered a new filter. I can't spend much otherwise my gf will get pissed I spent all her vday money present on fish :p

Megacichlid said:
Its easier to deal with a woman after you spend the money than it is to get permission;)

LOL if thats how it is with you then you my friend are lucky!

The sand compaction thing is usually overrated anyway. The heavy rooting plants like swords and crypts usually grow fast enough to keep it from happening too much, and if you just use a thin layer ~1" of sand it shouldn't be a problem. The stem plants don't really build enough of a root structure for it to be an issue, and even if it became one, it's easy enough to break them off and replant.

Assassin or mts snails burrow nicely in sand tanks. Which will help you out your local petsmart should have mts floating around the one by my house will give you the snails for free because their tanks are crawling with them.

I don't think It's that deep, probably one inch of sand since i only used one bag and the rest is flormax. And my petsmart only carries mystery and apple snails but will check anyways since i read they make a good clean up crew.

yea, you have to go to a fish store that is not a big box store, do you have any localy owned stores around the area? petsmart and petcos have them they just refuse to admit that they actually have them in their tanks...

Bschowa said:
yea, you have to go to a fish store that is not a big box store, do you have any localy owned stores around the area? petsmart and petcos have them they just refuse to admit that they actually have them in their tanks...

I do but their fish and stuff are expensive cause they carry what the other stores don't have but I'll check anyways. I know what the snails look like but do they come in different forms like every other snail?

Back
Top Bottom