Too late to add plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I'm not in the quitting mood, I'm really thinking hard about planting my tank while it's cycling. Just Java Ferns and nothing else. This is partly due to not having proper substrate for the plant of my dreams (swords). Is it too late to do this (for those who have followed my posts, you know where I currently stand). The artificial plants look ok (my wife picked them) I guess I'm just being greedy???

You don't have to worry about your substrate with java ferns. They do best when attached to an object like driftwood or rocks, and not planted right in the substrate. Use cotton thread to tie them to rocks, driftwood, or another object in the aquarium. When they attach themselves, after a few weeks, snip the thread. You can also leave the artificial plants in (bonus: wife won't be mad! :) ) I have a mix of real and silk plants in my tanks.

And for the record, you don't have to have a plant substrate for swords. Using root tabs will help make up for a lack of special substrate.

Just to let you know, I have cryptocorynes growing in ordinary gravel. I have my java ferns growing on rocks and bog wood and hornwort anchored by lead weights on top of the gravel. Real plants sure beat fake ones

I stuck my Java fern straight into the substrate and tossed a little bit of gravel on top of it to prevent it from floating about. It's growing like there's no tomorrow.

As stated above, java ferns and crypts don't require any special substrate. Java ferns do best anchored to something like rocks or driftwood. Depending on your lighting levels you could also look at some stem plants like rotala or anachris. And as an added bonus the plants will help the tank cycle faster.

Swords don't really need anything special. The one I had was just in regular gravel, no fertilizer, and it produced a second sword plant which I now have planted in the other side of the tank and it's starting to grow faster now that it has settled. It have almost tripled the number of leaves since I first got it and the bigger one has a new leaf every day and a half.

Thanks again guys...unfortunately...none of the LFS I visited over the past two weeks seem to have any plants. They have no explanation for it other than they are not gettting them it. I'll keep checking though...I really don't want to order on-line at this time of the season.

adding plants will help cycle a tank, i've read articles on how you can have a planted tank with no filtration (obviously seriously understocked but still)

all of my lfs have a poor selection of plants i've bought all of mine off the net, not too expensive. if ur going to order a few, some give free delivery... and if not when you take into consideration petrol, parking, hassel, effort, time, etc (god i sound lazy lol ) i think its worth it :D

I see that some of the plant growers cut back or will not ship in winter. Could be the problem in your area. Check out the site for Aquatic Plant Depot. Great prices.

Here's my Java Fern on a peice of driftwood. About a year later it has engulfed the peice of driftwood..haha. 75 gallon. I've since added more plants.
fwfish_0041.jpg

fwfish_0021.jpg

Thanks Chrism, Doran and Bones:

Still no luck with plants at LFS - One promised me (really??) that they will have several after the new year. Since things are truly hectic, I guess I can wait. Bones - Your pic is exactly what I have in mind (with the exception of it taking over the driftwood)!

Back
Top Bottom