Too many plants in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an Anubias nana "petite", a Cryptocoryne lutea, Rotala, and a few small C. wendti that were in one of my tanks. The fish died (Willy, my pitbull pleco :cry: ). I took the tank down and put the plants in a critter keeper. They've been in there a few weeks.

I went to the hatchery today to get either a new betta or some rainbowfish. I didn't get either :( so I won't start a new tank this weekend. What should I do with the plants in the critter keeper? Could I put them in the other 5 gallon betta tank, which already has some crypts? That would be a lot of plants in this 5 gallon betta tank. Should I increase some of the fertilizers? I use Seachem Excel, Flourish, and Nitrogen, 1/8 teaspoon of each one twice a week. My parameters are 0-0-0. I'm going to need more nitrogen in this tank if I put all those plants in, right?

Then as soon as possible, I'll start the other tank and transfer most of the plants. The betta tank will just have crypts and java moss. But I just thought the plants have been in the critter keeper long enough.

it's only too many plants if they are choking each other out...so if they'll fit, I'd do it. And yeah, you'll prolly wanna up the fert dosing a little, but I'd go with a 25-50% increase, rather than double. Getting transferring around, the plants will probably stunt a little.

Back
Top Bottom