Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Too much DIY CO2?!, Low Nitrates, one dead fish, etc. SSL

So It looks like you guys were right about my cloudy water. I don't think it was me overfeeding, now I think it was low NO3. I finally got my test kits. Phosphates- .5 Nitrate- 0 ( I want them to be 5ppm right?)

So now I need to get NO3 to dose. I've been keeping the GW at bay with my new Diatom Filter! I LOVE that thing, but I agree, that it is a little tricky to use.

So I discovered my Praecox Rainbow dead today (RIP), and tested my PH right away. PH= 6.4! uh oh, it has never been below 6.8 during the day. Then KH = 4 making my CO2= 48! Is that what killed my rainbow?

Yesterday I put my 2 2liters in a bucket with a heater. I thought a consistant temp would help me start playing with my Co2 levels to get a little bit more. Well it worked too good. I've always been worried about not getting enough DIY CO2, never worried about too much.

I guess I'm going to need help balancing my CO2 levels.
A few questions, if I may:

What temp should I keep my 2 liters at?
Should I add baking soda to my recipe too keep the PH from dropping?
Is it the PH dropping, the High Co2 levels, or both that kill fish?
How to keep the CO2 lower at night? Would an aerater on a timer do it?
Could High CO2 or low PH kill my Cryps?

My GH has been 5
My KH has been 3 now 4
PH from the tap is 7.2
Is usually 6.8 during the day and 6.6 at night.

Too many questions, I know. Sorry

-
Amazon swords (narrow), Dwarf Hairgrass, Glosso, Cryptocoryne wendtii, chainswords, Ludwigia glandulosa, Blyxa japonica, Didiplis diandra, Microswords, Eustralis stellata (I think).
current516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
FWIW I have my PH Controller set to keep the PH @ 6.5 with a KH of 4-5 (42ppm CO2) and the fish show no signs of stress whatsoever.. Not sure if rainbows are more sensitive..

When I had DIY, I put the bottles ontop of my lights, it would warm them during the day and let it cool at night.. lasted for quite some time.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz
FWIW I have my PH Controller set to keep the PH @ 6.5 with a KH of 4-5 (42ppm CO2) and the fish show no signs of stress whatsoever.. Not sure if rainbows are more sensitive..

When I had DIY, I put the bottles ontop of my lights, it would warm them during the day and let it cool at night.. lasted for quite some time.
Oh. Well... How high can I let my CO2 get before I start worrying about my fish? Chuck's planted aquarium chart says above 25ppm can be harmful to fish.

My other fish, including the rainbows, seem fine. Granted, they are different types, but... ?

Didn't think of it before, but I could just put my heater on a timer. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
current which no3 test kit are you using. I know that with my ap kit, if you don't shake the life out of reagent 2, you can get a false negative on nitrates.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
current which no3 test kit are you using. I know that with my ap kit, if you don't shake the life out of reagent 2, you can get a false negative on nitrates.
I am using AP. I shook it pretty good. But maybe I'll check it again, and "shake the life out of it".

Thanks for the tip.
-
Amazon swords (narrow), Dwarf Hairgrass, Glosso, Cryptocoryne wendtii, chainswords, Ludwigia glandulosa, Blyxa japonica, Didiplis diandra, Microswords, Eustralis stellata (I think).
current516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, dead, dead fish, diy, diy co2, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com