Too much light for planted aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gladmist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a new light hood for my 29 gallon 36" long x 16" high freshwater aquarium. Didn't realize at the time it was for T5 bulbs and didn't know the difference. Now that I do, and I am trying to grow freshwater plants in there I am wondering if this will be too much light for the size of the aquarium. I have 1 39 watt 10,000k and 1 39 watt 6700k in there. I do not want to use a co2 system. Is this too much? If so is there a way to tone it down? Any help would be much appreciated. Fish in the tank are happy and healthy and consist of 2 Bosemani Rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows, 1 Glotetra, 3 cherry barbs, 1 panda Cory, 1 Julii Cory, 1 otocat and a bn pleco

It is definitely too much if you don't want to inject CO2 and have a very regimented fertilizer addition program. You could run just 1 of the two bulbs (either would be fine) and that would make the tank much more manageable without CO2. Even then, it will be a very good amount of light for almost all plants that will grow well without CO2 injection.

Not sure if those lights are too much. Those should be okay but I heard 6700k light bulbs are best for plants since they mimic sunlight.

Recently I bought a 29 gallon also and just got done cycling. My lighting is...well I would say alot. I have a quad t5 lights, each 6700k, 24 watts each bulb. My plants are growing great, especially my water sprite! Just recently bought an anubas nana and it already grew a new leaf :)

I am also dosing Flourish Excel with it, giving it a carbon source and preventing algae growth. But I have lots of brown algae right now (heard that is not really algae but called diatoms; heard its also normal in a newly set-up tank)..About to get some fish to eat those!

Back
Top Bottom