Too Much Light, or Not Enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teeter1715

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a DIY light fixture from a friend to put on my 55 gallon tank that i am slowly transitioning into a planted tank, it has 4 plant growth bulbs but the bulbs don't have the wattage printed on the bulbs :(
they are 4 36" ZOO MED FLORA SUN Max Plant Growth bulbs, i'm not sure if its too much light or if its sufficient? i don't mind a algae bloom just don't want to fry my plants
please help, thanks!

I currently have 5 sword plants, a few frill bunches, bacopa, and java fern
they are T8
and another question, i found a 36" full spectrum bulb, do these grow plants or no?

Yeah the full spectrum bulbs grow plants. The problem is they grow "everything else" as well. Freshwater plants need mostly the red side of the spectrum. Things like coral need the other end. But yes, full spectrum will grow. A color temperature of around 6000k is ideal.
Your 4 bulbs are good.

ok, thanks a bunch for the help was just wondering cause my frill started turning brownish green where in my 40 gallon they are a bright green

The Zoo-med Flora Sun bulbs are 5000K, which I personally don't like. If you want to change the bulbs but stick with that light fixture, I recommend Zoo-med Ultra Sun. They're 6500K which is a much nicer spectrum for viewing in my opinion, it really makes the plants look vibrant and colorful.

haha did not know that, ok i will give that some thought, thanks a bunch you guys for the help

Back
Top Bottom