Too Much Oxygen Bad For Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BolivianRams

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I notice that my amazon swords are starting to turn brownish yellow ever since I added a bubblator in the tank. Is this the problem? If yes then when should I turn the bubbleator off?

i love that word... bubbleator... lol. I never run air stones or bubble wands in my tanks, i leave that up to the filters. Plants in aquariums, just like outside, use co2 and give of o2... that being said, if theres not enough co2 in the water, they wont do very well. You do want surface agitation, but the filters should do that for you.

Surface agitation won't overdose oxygen, all you get is equilibration with room air, which is what the water is supposed to have.

Unless you are injecting CO2, in which case the bubbler might decrease your CO2 level, I don't think it has much to do with the plants.

I run my water atleast 1.5" down from the outlet for the HOB waterfall, I have some plants that are growing like mad, and some that havnt( transplant melt w/ crypts which is expected). I just let the filter oxygenate the water, I dont have Co2 on my tank and no air pumps. Id get rid of it because its really useless on a planted tank minus night use.

Get rid of it and get one that is battery operated incase of power outages, Mine is made for live bait but plugs into the wall and comes on when the power cuts off

ok first things first plants consume CO2 during daylight and at night they consume O2 so the best way to go about this is to have a bubbleator on a timer that turns on when you lights go off. This would optimize the growth rate of your plants and insure them greater health. If you have fish then this is also a good thing to do because during the day you are pumping in CO2 so the fish might start rising to the surface if there is too much saturation of CO2 for O2. To optimize CO2 saturation it is best to keep the surface tension (anotherwords no disruption or ripples on the surface), but if there is a slight ripple effect then that increases the ability for O2 to enter the water (example would be a waterfall in nature). Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom