Top Fin plants in gel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone tried these? I saw them on the shelves at PetSmart and was surprised that live plants could be sold in that manner. I am skeptical but thought I would ask.

I bought some crypts in the same packaging. Ended up with 3 separate plantings that are growing very well. They didn't even melt after first introducing them to my tank.

Some of them are fine.... but they also sell some that are not true aquatic plants and are either bog or terrestrial plants. Just research what you are buying first and if they are aquatic you are good to go.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394425957.533126.jpg
This is 1/3 of a half dead Downie i purchased a few weeks ago... Grew killer and fast! I think I have probably purchased 6-8 packages over the past few weeks, all grew... Try talking with a manager about "kinda tore up sacks" i have had another 4-5 free packages given to me by the department managers... They open the package and sick them all in a fish bag! They need the labels for credit from TopFin... Of course these were all in pretty bad shape... But they lived and grew great.. I i needed to clip and prune em, but well worth it.
The only one that kinda had a herd time was a dwarf hair grass... Floated like a @&$@ ballon until i tied it to a two pound rock! Lol... A+ from me.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394426389.807499.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394426420.217787.jpg
These are a couple of the actual plants that came from TopFin.

I've only purchased two of these packs but they turned out well. The Staurogynes repens (left side fore ground) started out VERY small. I used toothpick to hold them down until they became established. I've been trimming the tops and replanting them.
The Alternanthera reineckii (left side back ground) also was quite small when I first planted it.
Both plants have been in my tank for five months:
cfx7Hol.jpg

I've purchased quite a few amazons and ferns in the gel packs and they turn out amazing. I have yet to have any die or melt

Plants in Tubes

Has anyone tried these? I saw them on the shelves at PetSmart and was surprised that live plants could be sold in that manner. I am skeptical but thought I would ask.

Hello mal...

These are inferior plants to those kept in the tanks. Save you money and get a plant that's growing in the tank. These have a much higher survival rate than those in the tubes.

B

Hello mal...

These are inferior plants to those kept in the tanks. Save you money and get a plant that's growing in the tank. These have a much higher survival rate than those in the tubes.

B

Tube or package mine do great.

I have only purchased the tube Java Ferns, they are growing very well. The gel packages do grow very well, even in less than perfect condition. Unfortunately our PetSmart does not sell any other aquatic plants other than anacheris bunches and mondo sword... I have not tried either.

All the anubias plants I have came from those tube/gel packs at Petco during the 50% off plant sale. They're doing splendidly.

The only plants that I will ever buy from a tube are java fern, and anubias. The gel packs are tissue cultured and are completely good to use. I know several plant experts, ie. Rivercats, Old scales, Bill, on this site use the tissue culture gel packs.

Back
Top Bottom