Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

total n00b to plants!

Well first off, I have a 50 gal tank with 2 goldfish, and a 10 gallon with my betta... I have a 20 gallon tank which I hope to convert into a community tank, with REAL plants haha. the problem is I have NO idea about care for plants, what they need, if you can stick sand over their grounding, and how do you clean the ground (these are dumb questions but I know NOTHING about it. I just learned proper care for my goldfish)
Are there certain fish that can't handle plants?
pretty much any information on plants would be awesome, and how you care for them.
Sorry this question is ... filled with questions, but I want to know what I might be getting into lol

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What are you going to have in the 20g? You can stick to low light plants which will require little to no maintenance. Some options are java ferns, java moss, vals, some crypts, etc. Cleaning the substrate (sand) is easier than gravel IMO. All you have to do is swirl the vacuum above the substrate and all the waste gets sucked up.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest trick to starting with plants is picking fully aquatic species that are suitable for your light level. Many stores sell plants like mondo grass and white ribbon plants that are really swamp plants and will die if fully submerged. Here's a good list of non-aquatics: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

I have sand in all my tanks. The plants have no problem rooting in the sand. Sand doesn't have any nutrients, so adding root tabs to the substrate or fertilizers to the water column will help if you've got a light bioload in the tank. All fish will benefit from plants.

I would go with the low-light plants meegosh suggested. It's a good way to get started without needing to buy a lot of new equipment or do a lot of maintenance.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

I'm thinking about trying plants too! Definitely following this thread!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You basically need three things. Light, nutrients, and CO2. The higher the light, the higher the other two need to be.

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...lanted-Tank/4/

This is a good article on starting up
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my experience, depending on the plants, you don't need CO2 (this is for low-maintenance plants). I am growing plants in normal gravel with proper light and using root tabs. however, I would highly recommend plants that feed from the water column (like anacharis) simply because of how easy they are. If you have proper lighting, anacharis will grow in no time.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

again, i'll sound dumb, but what do you mean by the water column? like they suck the nutrients that are floating in the water? (I have no plant experience :P )
And I don't know which fish I want yet, obviously just small community fish, but not sure which kind
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey, we just brought 5 new live plants for my 15 gallon tank which houses 3 corys, 2 swordtails and 2 guppies. What kinda things should I be doing to maintain healthy plants? Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, the water column is just the water in the tank.

For a basic low-light tank you really don't have to much of anything to maintain plants except leave your light on for 8-10 hours a day. Fish waste will provide the necessary nutrients.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again I know nothing about this, but what would it require to get a set up similar to this I just want to know if thats possible. I dont know if these plants are too high maintenance though since I dont know what they are lol... I was thinking about the stock today, I think I want a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece, and I like mollies, guppies, and panda cories... I would consider neon tetras too, but I dont know how many fish I can even get in the tank and I like mollies and guppies more... Are any of those fish compatible with the gourami, and how many of each should I get (Im just used to my goldfish needing a giant tank for one fish so I dont have a clue about community fish) and any other fish suggestions would be good Dont really like danios though sorry

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com