Tough BGA - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
The nitrates in my divided betta tank bottomed out and I got BGA as a result. I slowly dosed KNO3, cleaned most of the BGA out and did a 3 day blackout. I then did a 70% water change. The BGA seemed to be gone.

A week later its back (minimally so far). Nitrates are now approx 30ppm. (Ammonia and nitrites are 0).

What's my next step here ??

Have you tried adding water current? I know you are limited by your bettas inability to be strong swimmers but it should help.

Its a top fin HOB filter which only reaches one compartment of the divided tank. I had to put some floss over the outflow in that one compartment so that I don't blast the poor guy. I temporarily removed the floss, but my boy isn't very happy about it and the current doesn't really reach the other compartments.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I could kick myself for letting my nitrates bottom out

5 day blackout. I tried a 3 day the first time, and it was back within a week. I just finished my 5 day last weekend, and still no sign of BGA. But some of the other algae is coming back. Now to find the fix for it, lol.

5 days ! OMG that's gonna hurt LOL - I hate not being able to see and talk to "the boys". I wonder if I can arrage a business trip for 5 days so that I won't notice :)

Good luck with your algae probs also

Back
Top Bottom