Tracie's 12gal rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I'll try petco. Home Depot garden center didn't and neither did petsmart by my house. But there's a petco not too far and there are a few garden centers I can try too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are we trying to weigh down dw? Get a few heavy stainless steel washers and some zipties.. fasten them in such a way they can be concealed below substate.. easy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found slate at lowes. In the tile cutting section. There were some scrap pieces that they were going to throw out. I inquired about them and the staff member marked them as demo pieces so that I could walk out with them at no charge.
A small sheet of acrylic or plexi glass with said stainless steel screws could work. The weight of the substrate would hold it down.

Well ro water doesnt need dechlorinator but tap water does. I leave my water all week to off gas the chlorine so i dont use dechlorinator. If you were going to use your water straight after making it then use a dechlorinator

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks to Fresh and Brookster! Great ideas and that is my project this weekend.

Tanks Sk3lly, that's what I was curious about.

I finally did some clean up in the tank, trimmed up some dead pieces and such. I am seeing new growth in some form on many plants this week.

Very exciting!
Here's a few update shots.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406752214.822769.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406752241.614462.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406752258.688789.jpg

I'm going to have to move the filter over into the corner and move those plants out of it as they are not getting enough light bc it's all blocked by the darn filter.

I need a good plant that doesn't have to grow tall to put in front of the filter to hide it some. Suggestions?

Rotala walichi for in front of filter. Its an advanced plant though

In my opinion the stone placement is too perfect. Its not shouting out natural. I like the natural look but its opinion of course

In my opinion the stone placement is too perfect. Its not shouting out natural. I like the natural look but its opinion of course

Id add another two rocks and stack the current ones and bury them in the substrate a bit. Is that what you would do sk3lly?

The stem plant in the front left corner...it's a good idea to separate the stems and plant them individually about 1/2"-1" apart. It will look nicer as a grouping (as opposed to a bouquet) and all stems in general should have some spacing to allow light penetration to the lower portion of the plant. Stems generally get tall so perhaps a spot in the back may be a better choice.
I did the same rocks in line thing in two different tanks at the same time. Actually, they were rocks in perfect clusters of threes evenly spaced apart.
Looking good :)

Rotala walichi for in front of filter. Its an advanced plant though

The rocks are temporary. Once I get my DW in they are coming out or moving ;)

The stem plant in the front left corner...it's a good idea to separate the stems and plant them individually about 1/2"-1" apart. It will look nicer as a grouping (as opposed to a bouquet) and all stems in general should have some spacing to allow light penetration to the lower portion of the plant. Stems generally get tall so perhaps a spot in the back may be a better choice.
I did the same rocks in line thing in two different tanks at the same time. Actually, they were rocks in perfect clusters of threes evenly spaced apart.
Looking good :)

Thank you. I stuck them there bc I didn't think they were making it and when I tried to plant then individually they kept floating up ;/. I'll give that another shot now that they are coming back ;).

Thanks all for the different suggestions. I'm making a trip down to Tuscon to the nice aquascape store there and I'm making a list of suggestions so I can try to find some of these suggestions ;)

How'd you do?

I've been Mia. Busy with work and family stuff.
Still unable to find slate. The ladies at lowes weren't very helpful, couldn't cut slate?
I'm going to find it this weekend for sure.

I'm fighting a brownish crumbly looking Algea right now. Any ideas?

I'll get a pic tonight. It's forming mostly on leaves.

The plants are looking ok but the Algea isn't helping things.

Probably diatoms. The general rule is that if its brown and can be rubbed off with your fingers, its diatoms.

Wowie. It's been too long!! Between school and work I'm barely keeping up.
Hope everyone is well!!

My tank is a little murky right now and my glass needs a scrub but my plants are growing like crazy.
I actually need to trim!

I'm having trouble with the diatom ? I guess. It's brown and crumbly and brushes off sort of.

Not a great picture. Imma do some good ones this week after I do my cleaning.

My puffer is loving the replens and he does well with the many places to hide. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410840036.851909.jpg

Welcome back! Yes, your plants are overdue for a trim. Is that bright green grouping of plants star repens? If so, you could trim it down and make a carpet out of it. It's my favorite carpet plant.
Usually you see diatoms in the early stages of your tank but I suppose they can appear anytime.
Firehouse Subs!

Looking healthy in there! Welcome back!!

Back
Top Bottom