Tracie's 12gal rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got an awesome piece of DW.
He said I may want to boil it??

View attachment 243733

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most driftwood (or DW) will release tannins which will give a tea colored tint to the water. Though not harmful (and preferred in some instances) not all folks enjoy it. One method of reducing tannins is to soak and boil it. Maybe an hour or two. Depends on the DW. Some driftwood contains a great deal of tannins and some do not. Also, boiling and soaking helps the DW to sink.

Thanks Fresh!

So I did boil my DW. Went fine.
After it cooled I pulled my java and wrapped the wd and when I put it in the tank my DW just wants to float. I guess I assumed because of how heavy it was it would sit on the bottom. Lol not so.

So I've got rocks on it to keep it down.
Does the DW ever stop trying to float?
I also need to get some line to hold down my java.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405876283.839931.jpg

Thanks Fresh!

So I did boil my DW. Went fine.
After it cooled I pulled my java and wrapped the wd and when I put it in the tank my DW just wants to float. I guess I assumed because of how heavy it was it would sit on the bottom. Lol not so.

So I've got rocks on it to keep it down.
Does the DW ever stop trying to float?
I also need to get some line to hold down my java.

View attachment 243799

About the DW, it depends. Some types like Malaysian and Mopani sink pretty much from the start. Others will take time. How long? Good question. It could be weeks, months or more. I put some DW I got from the beach in a small pond and 8+ months later it is still floating. You may have to keep rocks on it until it does sink. I would drill a small in a small piece of slate, drive a stainless steel screw through the slate and into the DW. The size of the slate depends on the buoyancy of the DW.
Light weight fishing line can be used for tying down moss.

Thanks ;)

I'm really kinda sad and mad today. So the DW developed this white filmy slime, which I expected because the guy who sold it to me told me it could happen. What he didn't say, and I guess I should have asked was about that slime spreading to other things in my tank, like my fish! I'll be lucky if I don't loose all three of my puffers. ;(

I got up this am and at least two of them are just swimming into things and are barely alive and none are eating. I did a 70% water change. Removed the DW and the java that was wrapped around it and as much of any slime I could find.

I really hope the poor guys can make a comeback ;(. I had to leave for work so now I'm helpless. ;(

That's odd, I've had the white stuff before but it never affected fish.. look into a salt dip possibly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes that is odd. I've remove DW and reboiled it to remove the slime. It never came back. But have not heard it affecting live stock. Do a water change when you get a chance and keep us posted. Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks guys.
Maybe it's the co2?
I tested Sunday and again this morning and my tests were fine. I could only assume it had to be the slime. The slime had formed over the airstone for the co2.

I did do a 70% water change before I left for work. I just hope it was enough.

I'll look into a salt dip when I get home. Hopefully they are still alive by then ;(

My husband is telling me they are looking fine and not swimming weird at all. Maybe the water change helped. Guess I'll see if they will eat tonight ;/

If you don't already have one, a drop checker is handy for indicating the amount of CO2 present. Green = good, blue = not enough, yellow = too much. With DIY too much CO2 is not usually a problem but with such a low tank volume it does not hurt to check.
Yes, it sounds like the water change did a lot of good.

Wow that's weird. I've never heard of that sort of slime getting on fish. Boiling it, like fresh said, will probably kill it, since it appears to be a fungus of some sort.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys. I'll get a drop checker and make sure.
Maybe it's not the slime.
? Maybe co2 or something completely different.
Maybe I over reacted to some sleepy fish.
I wanted to call in sick. Iol

Fish will often appear washed out for the first few minutes after lights on.. I've seen something that wasn't there quite a few times first thing in the morning, dump a cup of coffee down my face and realize it's all good..

Fish will often appear washed out for the first few minutes after lights on.. I've seen something that wasn't there quite a few times first thing in the morning, dump a cup of coffee down my face and realize it's all good..

I am beginning to think that is what happened. Maybe the one was bumping into things because he was still asleep. lol
Ugh.
Thanks guys!

Now to re-boil and also fashion it to some slate so it doesn't float or have to be help down by a bunch of rocks.

They're temporarily blinded by the light too, do you go from pitch dark to full blast?

They're temporarily blinded by the light too, do you go from pitch dark to full blast?

They don't go from pitch black but yeah. The room isn't very light that early before I pop the lights on. I've been turning them on for about 20 minutes in the morning to feed before work. I think I'll try feeding when I get home and again before bed.

I think that's definitely a routine that needs adjusting. Thanks, great thought!

Yah.. i turn the room lights on for about 10 min before tank lights go on..my neons used to freak out before I started waking them up easier..

Lights on in my tank is somewhere between 3-4 PM. Ambient light filters into the room for a good 7-8 hours prior to that. I don't do the AM lights because I would probably get stuck watching them in the morning.

Yes my lights come on around 330 pm. Same here for ambient light prior.
I've only been turning them on while I'm I the kitchen in the morning so I can feed. I'll stop doing that and just feed when I get home at 430.

So two of my 3 puffers are doing just fine. They ate and seem normal. But my 3rd is just gone completely. I've scoured the tank. Just gone.
:/

My ferts come today! I'm excited! Sure hope they help bc my plants are looking pretty sad right now.

Back
Top Bottom