Translucent Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had been having trouble to get my java fern to grow at all since it's intro to my tank about 6 weeks ago... the leaves were really dark green and getting covered in a blackish brown coating I think are Diatoms. Also, it wasn't the nicest specimen to begin with (petsmart's plants always look kinda weak). I trimmed the worst affected leaves about 2 weeks ago and since I've had a bunch of new shoots from the rhizome, and 3 plantlets grow on the tips of the mature leaves I left intact.

I'm now seeing a third or so of the tip of the new leaves turning sort of translucent... I assume this is a nutrient deficiency, but of what nutrient?

The only relevant test kit I have is NO3; These are consistently around 20-30 ppm.

The only fert I dose is a few drops of Seachem Flourish at each water change.

This is the tank in my Sig, btw.

TIA

I have the same problem; however, I believe the answer is nutrient deficiency and too much light (the combination of that). I'm not sure which nutrient though.

I grow extra java fern floating in small clear plastic cups on a window sill. They grow faster than in the tank however all of the leaves are slightly translucent.

Too much light shouldn't be a problem. Likely a nutrient imbalance.
20-30ppm nitrate is a bit high...but keeping a fantail in 6gallons will do that.

I'd give a full 1mL of flourish after a water change, and you might try a mL or two of Flourish Excel 2x a week.

I doubt vbery much it's too much light as I'm only running 1.33 WPG (sorry, forgot to include that in the first post)

20-30ppm nitrate is a bit high...but keeping a fantail in 6gallons will do that.

Indeed it will- However I've got a 10 gallon I'll be setting up with sand blasting sand substrate and the AHsupply 2x13w CF bright kit over thanksgiving- should be a decent upgrade.

In the meantime I'll try and pick up some excel and maybe a PO3 test kit as well while I'm out today.

Thanks

Ya I wasn't sure about your lighting and didn't pay attention to the goldfish :x

I was right about the nutrients though :lol:

Just an update:

My LFS doesnt stock excel so I picked up some leaf zone-figuring Id give another trace mix a try.

Since my fist dose (7 days ago) the translucent areas of the new leaves have reduced in size substantially. Now only the very tip of the leaves are afffected.

I just added another dose- Hopefuly me results will continue!

Back
Top Bottom