Transparent Leaves on Sunset Hyrgo - Causes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me what diffciency causes leaves to turn clear, this is happening with my Sunset Hygro.

Thanks!
Linda

What exactly are you dosing? I have read somewhere that a lack of iron can cause "glassy" leaves in fast growing plants like your Hygro. I could be wrong, but info on your dosing schedule would be helpful in other people answering your question.

What type of lighting do you have? I have seen hygro listed as a low-light plant, but it never did well in my low-light tank. Once I took a bunch out of the med-high light tank and put it in a bowl for a few days until I could put it in the other tank. After being in the bowl for less than a day, the leaves turned transparent, and I thought it was due to the fact that it had only room lighting. It was fine when I took it out of the tank.

Okay, the lighting on my 29 gallon tank is 1x55 watt retro fit from AH Supply w/6700K, just short of 2 wpg. The hygro was growing very well for a while, would it just quite growing well do to the lighting?

I am currently dosing approx. 1/4 tsp of K2SO4, 2-4 drops of Fleet and usually letting the fish and food take care of the Nitrates, every other night and on alternate nights, I am dosing 2 ml of Flourish. I do have CSM+B but am finishing up the Flourish first. I also add 1 tsp of Epsom Salts to my tank once a week. I have soft water, GH 40. CO2 is maintained at 30 ppms. I also add 1/2 tsp of baking soda with every water change to bring my KH up to 70. PH is usually around 6.6. Hope this helps. I am still currently in the experimenting faze, trying my best to stablize my tank but I'm still having lots of problems.

I am seriously thinking of upgrading my lights to 2x55 watts after my vacation. I've been thinking that if I cannot stablize my tank now with medium lighting, will I have an even harder time with high lighting?

Any help is so greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Linda

If the leaves are turning transparent it could be a Nitrate and or Phosphate difficiency. Have you tested the levels for the two nutrients to ensure that neither is bottoming out?

Also, is it on old or new growth? Both?
The hygro was growing very well for a while, would it just quite growing well do to the lighting?
As saiid, it is much more likely the transparent leaves are due to something bottoming out or insufficient levels of a nutrient. Tom Barr has said melting/transparent leaves are usually a CO2 or NO3 thing, fwiw.
I've been thinking that if I cannot stablize my tank now with medium lighting, will I have an even harder time with high lighting?
Depends on your mindset. With a full fert schedule higher light can be easier since you can feel confident that missing a day of dosing will bottom out something. Balancing a medium light tank is certainly less trouble though and allows much more error room with dosing (many take advantage of this by dosing medium-low light tanks once a week, even).

If you are doing water changes, you should dose your ferts a little higher and observe. Starting with N and P is good. Personally I would start with CO2 and N since I am a Tom Barr fanboy :) Adding Zezmo's KNO3 recommendation from your other thread to the Fleet solution seems perfect to me.

I am going to start dosing more KNO3. This is the one fert that I have been afraid to add much of if at all, but this could very well be my problem. I doubt it's the CO2, I'm pretty sure that I'm getting a decent amount of CO2 now.

I took Zezmo's advice and mixed up a solution of diluted Phosphates, but I'm still having a hard time adding the amount equivalent to the phosphate solution, i.ea., 3/4 tsp of of fleet solution plus 3/4 tsp of KNO3, isn't that a lot of nitrate for a medium light tank? My light is 1x55 watts over a 29 gallon. I was always under the impression that lower light tanks didn't need as much fertilizer as high lighted tanks, although I am adding pressurized CO2 and do have a decent size plant load. Should I take these facts into consideration?

I am so close, I've come so far in my knowledge of the planted tank in these past 6 months, I only hope that it won't be too much longer. I'd like to get to the point where I can dose a few times a week and feel confident.

Back
Top Bottom