Transplanting/Substrate Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm switching from a gravel substrate to a sand substrate and have a question about transplanting crypts.

I know that they're a delicate plant and that their leaves can and will melt if they are not happy. What is the best way of transplanting a crypt to avoid this happening? Taking the crypt out and disrupting the substrate and root system will understandably stress the plant a bit, and I want to avoid it dying on me because it's done very well up to this point. I want to save as much of it as I can.

Any tips? I've attached a picture of it.

IMG_7567.jpg

Thankfully, crypts rebound rather quickly after they melt away. The best thing you can do is to try and get as much of the root system out intact as you can, then carefully spread the roots back out un the new substrate before burying them.

I'll do my best, thanks. Hopefully it goes well. I'm not worried about any of the plants because they've grown pretty much like weeds.

Thankfully, crypts rebound rather quickly after they melt away. The best thing you can do is to try and get as much of the root system out intact as you can, then carefully spread the roots back out un the new substrate before burying them.

+1. I've done this many time with success. Root tabs help the process along.

I transplant mine regularly without melt. Just be gentle with the roots, you can even split them. I have just used my tools grab them by the roots and stuck them back in my substrate with no issues. Some substrate ferts under the plants are highly recommended.

Okay. I'm going to be getting around to it this week hopefully. Thanks everyone for the tips. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom