Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Treating ick in planted tank. Please help!

Bought a siamese algae eater and checked at the store and he was fine. Inteoduced him in tank and after like three hours i see white spots on him. I understand stress can cause ick but now what shall I do? Is it possible that ich goes away itself when fish feels comfortable? If not what shall i need to do?

My tank is having hc cuba carpet which is sensitive plant. So i am not sure if increasing the temperature is good idea. Also all the medicines for ich have color that sticks to rocks and plants and my rocks i cant move and clean afterwards because they are fixed inside soil. Please help what i can do that will not harm my baby tears and treats my fish.

Livestock:
1 betta
1 angelfish
1 electric blue ram
1 siamese algae eater (infected fish)

Please also tell me is it possible that ich wont spread to other fish which i already have?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I saw the pics in the other thread with the direct intro into the display tank with no QT...wow, that stinks.
I have had luck with a product called Rid-Ich or Ich-Attack. Would not recommend salt. As for the heat, if you are running at 80F now, the jump to 86F is not too far off. As for meds + heat, not sure if BOTh are necessary.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Treating ick in planted tank. Please help!

If the introduction was recent, you might be fine if you remove the SAE immediately and place it into a separate tank. Hopefully spores were not released into the display tank. Is there a chance that any of the transport water got into the tank? That would not be a good thing.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put your tank temp at the max the plants can handle. It is important to do frequent water changes. 50% every other day or 25% every day. Personally I'd do 25% everyday. And do a light substrate vac every time.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you everyone
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive always used seachem paragurad and prazi pro with really good success, and both plant safe. also just keep the water REALLY clean and feed them well. Do you do live food? I feed live blackworms almost every night and i honestly do feel supplemented with flakes its a good way to keep a fish's immune system up.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
Ive always used seachem paragurad and prazi pro with really good success, and both plant safe. also just keep the water REALLY clean and feed them well. Do you do live food? I feed live blackworms almost every night and i honestly do feel supplemented with flakes its a good way to keep a fish's immune system up.
Thanks. Paraguard or prazi pro do they change color of water? I don't feed live plus i am allergic to bloodworms.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Thanks. Paraguard or prazi pro do they change color of water? I don't feed live plus i am allergic to bloodworms.

Iíve used PraziPro and canít recall if the water was discolored. Then again, this was in a bare bottom quarantine tank and the lighting has a slightly yellow cast (plus natural sunlight through some shades).
Why does it matter if it discolors the water? Treatment is temporary (several days to a couple of weeks at the most). The only discoloration that I donít like are the dye based ones that turn the aquariumís silicon blue or green.
Did the SAE have ich? Which med did you end up using? How is it doing now?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Iíve used PraziPro and canít recall if the water was discolored. Then again, this was in a bare bottom quarantine tank and the lighting has a slightly yellow cast (plus natural sunlight through some shades).
Why does it matter if it discolors the water? Treatment is temporary (several days to a couple of weeks at the most). The only discoloration that I donít like are the dye based ones that turn the aquariumís silicon blue or green.
Did the SAE have ich? Which med did you end up using? How is it doing now?
I am concerned about colors as used medicine in past which dyed the rocks and plants and that color went away in like 6 months. Don't want my plants to be dyed by medicine color. Thats why asked. A color which doesn't stick with plants or rocks is not a problem at all.

SAE is fine now. Recovered herself. Now I am thinking maybe its the tiny bubbles that sticked to her which gave me impression of ick. Don't know really but now tank is all good.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
never saw either discolor my water

ive seen sand and bubbles stuck on my new fish and done the same thing, it happens.

Tags
eat, eating, ick, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com