Trimming DH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looking for descriptions from others on how you "mow the grass". How often, how short? Tools? Mine is getting tall, but I read trimming helps it spread and thicken faster. Thanks!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a small pair of regular scissors, but you can also purchase a tool designed for this. It looks like a bent pair of scissors, you'll know what I am talking about if you ever see them.

It is good to prune at a minimum when the plant becomes shaggy or when there is a decaying portion.

You can prune dwarf hair-grass as often as you like. I don't like to cut it shorter than 1" above the gravel.

I bought myself a plant tool set. Came with tweezers and scissors. You can use normal scissors as well. I like the keep the dh at a consistent height and whenever it grow higher than 1.5" above the substrate I will trim the tops. Just don't trim too low.

Mowing the lawn.

Look at spring scissors. I got some to mow my Glosso and they work pretty good. I got mine on Amazon for $26. Pic attached. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1201.jpg
    DSCF1201.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 55
Whoah $26 for just the scissor? I got mine off of eBay and got a whole set for like $15-20. But it shipped from internationally so it took a longer time than it would have from amazon.

I wouldn't cheap on spring scissors. The metal in the spring handle needs to be good quality as that's where the strain is when you squeeze it in. If these weaken or break the scissors are not repairable. OS.

there are several different types of dwarf hairgrass some not getting over 2.5 inches tall mine if i let it grow gets about 4-5 inches i like the look at about 2.5 inches but if you are still wanting it to fill in i would +1 the 1 inch above the gravel. when mine was filling in i cut it from 4 inches to maybe a little under an inch it spread super super fast it defiantly promotes growth sideways. the pain if anyone understands me is i having to cut a huge field (half a 20 long) of it, and cleaning the grass leafs off the surface. They stick to the sides of the glass at the top. and are there another week or two. you can never get all of it.

That's my fear right there ^^

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't cheap on spring scissors. The metal in the spring handle needs to be good quality as that's where the strain is when you squeeze it in. If these weaken or break the scissors are not repairable. OS.

Oh the kit came with normal planting scissors. Not spring ones.

Back
Top Bottom