Trimming roots off stem Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's been approx 1.5-2 weeks since I planted my L. Repens & moneywart, the moneywart isn't really bad but on my L. Repens a few are almost to the top already that's how fast they are growing, they have roots shooting everywhere off the stem and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to trim the roots off or leave them on? pretty soon im going to have to trim and replant once the few reach the top I will trim the roots off the clippings before I replant them but was just wondering if I should do in tank root clippings on them? , also im not entirely sure if I should replant the trimmings with the red tops in the back or the front of the original, I'm assuming the front so you can see the Bushy red tops while hiding the part that's clipped.. am I correct on this and will the roots on the stems hurt anything other than making it look like I have hair and worms growing throughout my plants lol.

Completely normal and up to you if you want to trim the roots or not. Just like a beard more will just keep growing.

Also don’t matter if you put the trimmings in front or back. Up to you again. Typically they get redder the closer to the light they are.

Completely normal and up to you if you want to trim the roots or not. Just like a beard more will just keep growing.

Also don’t matter if you put the trimmings in front or back. Up to you again. Typically they get redder the closer to the light they are.
Yeah the 2 that are about 3" from the top are ultra red I just didn't know if there was a technique or preference of where the clippings are re planted.

Yeah the 2 that are about 3" from the top are ultra red I just didn't know if there was a technique or preference of where the clippings are re planted.

It depends if the lower stems is healthy or not. If I don’t want more of the same plant I’ll take out the bottoms and replant the tops. My recent trimming was rotala Macrandra. I kept the bottoms and replanted the tips in a different location. The bottoms should start producing side shoots that will eventually fill in.

It depends if the lower stems is healthy or not. If I don’t want more of the same plant I’ll take out the bottoms and replant the tops. My recent trimming was rotala Macrandra. I kept the bottoms and replanted the tips in a different location. The bottoms should start producing side shoots that will eventually fill in.
Yeah i need to fill in more I dint want to build a wall of the L. Repens where the fish can't swim anywhere lol, my tetras hide in them and I don't know why, but definitely need to fill in more, that's what I was curious about is will the bottoms produce the big leaves like the tops have right now?

Yeah i need to fill in more I dint want to build a wall of the L. Repens where the fish can't swim anywhere lol, my tetras hide in them and I don't know why, but definitely need to fill in more, that's what I was curious about is will the bottoms produce the big leaves like the tops have right now?

It depends on the plant but generally new side shoots will form. Ludwigia Repens should be fine.

It depends on the plant but generally new side shoots will form. Ludwigia Repens should be fine.
Okay Thank you caliban, sorry it didn't show you responded, the L repens are very full in the lower region I'll take some pics in a few.

Back
Top Bottom