Trimming time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it is time for my first EVER trimming. Sooooo what is the best way to trim anacharis and fanwort? can i just trim off the top few inches and replant them? will the plant continue to grow after i have removed its "growing top"?

thanks!! :D

You can cut anacharis at any location and replant the top. It will continue growing despite what ever you do IMO. I'm not sure about fanwort but it is always a good idea to cut under a node, especially if runners are already present.

Will the original part of the plant still grow after being cut? The ones I have are growing a little bit but don't have that nice rounded top, just a flat area where it was cut.

I'm about to trim my Anacharis and replant the cuttings

They will branch off from the stem. The top of the bottom cuttings will not grow again. you will get 1 or more shoots coming off of the original.

ya i have like 5 shoots coming my my original stem. the top doesnt sprout again but once the side shoots get big enough u just plant them and get rid of the stem.

rich311k said:
They will branch off from the stem. The top of the bottom cuttings will not grow again. you will get 1 or more shoots coming off of the original.
i see... :eyes:

Clear as mud to me. :)

The top of the bottom stem will not continue to grow instead it will develop side shoots.

How is that?

Every time I cut off my anacharis, the main stem keeps growing, lol. When I get 5 or 6 inches on the surface, I cut it back again. And I'm not getting any side shoots... :(

OK, example time to help people understand since it is different than what is expected. Unlike a lawn (grass), when you cut a plant such as anacharis it does not just go right back to growing straight up from the "stem". Imagine instead if when you cut your lawn each grass blade started growing arms off the sides (like a cactus). Those arms are now the growing points and will grow somewhat out, but eventually will turn towards the light source and grow upward.

This help a bit?

Back
Top Bottom