Trimming Water Sprite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dxs2104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My water sprite has recently been taking off and needs to be tamed. Anyone know a good way of trimming it so it doesn't look terrible?

Pic below if anyone's interested.

When I first got the new plants (~3 weeks ago)
fishtankbefore.jpg

Now.
dscn0533n.jpg

dscn0534hl.jpg

I have mine as a floater but you should be able to do about the same as me.

Carefully pluck off any "daughter" plants that might be there. They reproduce by little ones forming that eventually let go of the mother plant. Those daughters will free float until they find a place to root (or they just float and produce more daughters) Plucking will help thin it down.

If you don't have daughters, trim the outer stalks until you thin it to your liking. I use a pair of hair cutting scissors to trim my plants, but any clean, sharp pair would work. Or even just using your fingernails to pinch off the stalk.

Water sprite is easy to trim up. I just gave away about 5 pounds of it. My mother plant went hog wild in my BW tank, then I moved it to my 115 and it exploded. *lol* It took up the entire top of the tank, and even started curling up the sides, it's a 48 long x 18 wide tank to let you get an idea of how big the plant got. ;)

If you trim it at the joints of the plant, it stays neat. I've given up trying to keep mine neat. My goal is to keep it from taking over the entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom