True mystery plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
These two plants appeared in my 5 gallon.....really, they just appeared! The plants that I put in there came from the LFS, and a couple of AA members. This tank has plain gravel and 10 watts of CF light...so pretty low tech. Any idea what these are and how they could have gotten in there?

First one. Can't get a good pic since the tank has algae on the acrylic and I can't scrape that low. It looks like glosso, but i can't imagine glosso just appearing in a low light, no CO2 tank with plain gravel.....at first I thought it was a runner from the small crypt next to it but it never got bigger. It certainly isn't growing fast.

P1020855.JPG

same from above this time:
P1020856.JPG

Now here's the really weird one....it's growing on the filter return...I'm not even going to take a stab at this one. It looks really cool, though!

P1020858.JPG

Close up of the last pic:
P1020858_2.JPG

I think the first one is a small crypt runner. I have a few in my 55g and they grow really slow....so in low light they will grow even slower. If you take it out, it will probably have the rhizome like a crypt.

The second...I'm not sure. What all plants do you have in the tank? Have you added anything new? Maybe by your plant list, we can take a stab at IDing the second plant.

Guess I should have said that....there are three types of Crypt, a wendtii, a lutea and another small crypt (not parva). Also dwarf sag and a Java fern, and a few threads of hitchhiker Utricularia. That's it.

Alrighty...I'm guessing the first one is either a small crypt runner or a dwarf sag runner, though I'm leaning more towards the crypt (because it looks just like the runners I have in my tanks).

The second, I have seen somewhere, but I can't think of a name...sorry! I know that doesn't help. It looks like a type of something you attach to wood. Its pretty whatever it is...I'm surprised it showed up in the filter! :) I'll keep looking...

edit: Could it be Fissiden? The picture on this auction on aquabid http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplants&1162874491 looks like your plant (though that picture is blurry on the auction) but its hard to tell. But when I googled images of Fissiden, it doesn't look like yours...so I'm not sure.

JustOneMore20 said:
I think the first one is a small crypt runner. I have a few in my 55g and they grow really slow....so in low light they will grow even slower. If you take it out, it will probably have the rhizome like a crypt.

My java fern plantlets look like that when they are that small. If you could remove it from the substrate and take a pic, that would be nice.

Iw ould say hemianthus Callitrichoides also, (H. Cuba) I have some on some plastic canvas floating in one tank and until the algae got really thick it didn't grow really well. Would be nice to find some kind of trellace or material that has something it can take root in and let it grow around the rim of the tank.

To cool, love pic #2, I want some of that, whatever it is! I agree # 1 is probably a crypt runner of some kind. # 2 maybe HC or java moss in it's emersed form. Cool either way!

Back
Top Bottom