Trying my hand at Freshwater Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, Hey everyone.
Several times now I have posted threads in which I was looking for help on starting a freshwater tank.
Now, I have a 20g High (I know, long is better!) tank available. I am looking at turning this into a planted tank.
The look I am trying to get is a natural and modern planted tank. Very similar style to the July 2013 Tank of the Month Winner Billbug68's 12g Rimless Tank.
The look of the plants growing on the floor is stunning. This is something I am definitely looking to incorporate.

Now for the questions. I'm not really looking for information on equipment, other then lighting. Nor do I need help in nutrients, cycling, or stocking.

1. - What fixtures, preferably LED, would you recommend? The plan is to keep it a fairly simple medium to low-light planted tank. Would a simple T8 bulb work?

2.- What plants will "carpet" the floor as such.

I'd like to thank everybody in advance!

I have a noob fw tank haha so I'm not much help but I'm excited to see how this fw tank turns out!

I really like dwarf sag as a lowlight carpet plant. I have had it two months and it's starting to spread like crazy. Look at the finnex planted plus led light. Good quality light and not a bad price in amazon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402577332.828814.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402577344.823665.jpg

Alright, Hey everyone.
Several times now I have posted threads in which I was looking for help on starting a freshwater tank.
Now, I have a 20g High (I know, long is better!) tank available. I am looking at turning this into a planted tank.
The look I am trying to get is a natural and modern planted tank. Very similar style to the July 2013 Tank of the Month Winner Billbug68's 12g Rimless Tank.
The look of the plants growing on the floor is stunning. This is something I am definitely looking to incorporate.

Now for the questions. I'm not really looking for information on equipment, other then lighting. Nor do I need help in nutrients, cycling, or stocking.

1. - What fixtures, preferably LED, would you recommend? The plan is to keep it a fairly simple medium to low-light planted tank. Would a simple T8 bulb work?

2.- What plants will "carpet" the floor as such.

I'd like to thank everybody in advance!

I looked up the tank you were referring to so I would have an idea of what you want. I can tell you right off the bat to achieve that sort of carpet with alot of the carpeting plants that stay low to the substrate will require a high light / tech setup.

You will also face problems when it comes to the depth of your tank because of the light having trouble with such a depth.

Some of the most popular carpeting plants are baby tears, dwarf hair grass, and s. repens.

Since I run a low tech tank I can't really help you much more than this for now.

My 20 high low tech, finnex planted plus, metricide and seachem ferts..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402579660104.jpg
    1402579660104.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 81
High tech tank is a definite no at the moment. I have too many tanks that require high attention levels to be doing that. A simple natural planted tank is really the ultimate goal.

I will be looking at the Finnex Planted Plus, it seems like a great option.

As for fertilizers, from what I understand a low-medium light planted tank doesn't need them?

if you want a low tech say dwarf hair grass carpet? Your best chance would be in a shorter tank like a 15 or 20l, not to say it's impossible in a tall but just a bit more demanding..

if you want a low tech say dwarf hair grass carpet? Your best chance would be in a shorter tank like a 15 or 20l, not to say it's impossible in a tall but just a bit more demanding..

When you say more demanding are we talking light wise?

Exactly, you could drop a finnex ray 2 on that 20 tall, that would high end of med light.. you'd be dosing full line of ferts and healthy amount of glut too

plants look rough... lacking something.

Yes o' wise one, still trying to find that balance.. they look great for the first few months than something changes and you're back to the drawing board.. co2 is the answer but I'm still apprehensive..

To op, theres nothing wrong with low light planted tanks. In fact if done correctly they can look just as nice as high tech tanks.

Plants such as anubias, java ferns, crypts, amazon swords are worth looking into.

I may be wrong but you may get some joy with using star repens as a carpeting plant. It wont spread on its own, but can be propagated easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair comment.

To op, theres nothing wrong with low light planted tanks. In fact if done correctly they can look just as nice as high tech tanks.

Plants such as anubias, java ferns, crypts, amazon swords are worth looking into.

I may be wrong but you may get some joy with using star repens as a carpeting plant. It wont spread on its own, but can be propagated easily.

I never thought there was anything wrong. Low light plants don't require co2 dosing or fertilizers though, right? I'll look into the star repens for a carpet. Thanks.

Here is an example of a low light tank (dual T5 normal output):
Gx7odSr.jpg

Mostly crypts and moss with a few dwarf sag. No CO2 or water column ferts. Monthly (or whenever I get to it) root pellets. Growth is slow but steady and maintenance is minimal. It's a shrimp tank.

It looks really good...
As for lighting will a T8 lamp work? Or is it not enough..?

Maybe. I've only tried moss under a single T-8. The crypts might work. Depth of the tank big factor. This is a 20g long. Depth from light to substrate is about 10-12". Picked up this fixture at the beginning of 2013 for about $34. It was for my planted tank but the light was too low.

Back
Top Bottom