Trying to get a good start with ferts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everything got here today. Taking some of the advice I have read, I pretty much bought a pound of everything dry that GregWatson.com had. It was all cheap enough so I thought what the heck, I'd rather have it and not need it......

I do pwc on saturdays so I'm starting at the end of what will be a normal cycle. I tested the water to get a good base line before I started.

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
Phosphate - 2 ppm
pH - 7.5
GH - 9 dGH
KH - 5 dKH

The tank is still lightly planted because I didn't want to put new plants into a tank with no ferts and co2. co2 is still probably a week away but I would like to get the ferts going.

If I understand the numbers, my target for Nitrate is ~30 which means that I don't really need it at this moment. Phosphate is ~3 so I was not going to add it either today.

That leaves potassium and the micros. Which I'm still working on.

I know the EI method means that you overfeed by nature, I just don't want to do something too crazy, I have fish in this tank.

Am I on track or way off?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

looks good to me so far... keep an eye on those NO3 and PO4 reading and adjust as necessary.

I also noticed that that on gregwatson they suggest the following:

1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and
1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate in 1/2 litre of water

for making a micro mix.

Does anybody else do this? And what does the magnesium sulfate do ?

Magnesium Sulfate adds Magnesium which along with Calcium makes up the majoring of the GH. As long as you have at least 70ppm GH or 4dKH you probably have plenty of both, unless your GH happens to be made up of all one or the other. A quick look at your water report should let you know if that's a possibility.

A quick look at your water report should let you know if that's a possibility.

I assume you are referring to the report I get from the water company?

I'm right at 5 dKH and over 160 ppm GH, I'll assume for the moment that I'm ok.

Back
Top Bottom