trying to identify crazy plant!! plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucas14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago my fiance and I noticed one of our plants had a stem coming from the middle of it that looked like a bud... This happened in the morning and the same night about 12 hours later it had grown 10 inches!! By the next day it was growing out of the tank.. it has a VERY fast growth rate we were wondering what it could be? Any ideas would be Mich appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Looks like aponogeton species. That part the shoot up above the water level is the flower. They grow really fast under the right condition

Thank you very Much!!! Is there anything else I should know about it? We are new to having a planted tank...

If it sends up more flowers in a few days you can use a soft tiny paintbrush or feather and manually pollinate the flowers above the water. If the seeds drop you may get new tiny bulbs growing after a good long while. I've been doing this for years and all of my bulb plants are generations old (except for one red tiger lotus that I just bought). They often start out smaller than half of a peanut in size at first. It's a lot of fun.

We have been worries because we couldn't find any information so thank you so much!! I think we will try to reproduce... Thanks again for all of the help!

Back
Top Bottom