Trying to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so as we know I am new to everything. So I wanted to pick some brains about plants.

What are the benefits of live plants?
Negatives?

How much more lighting is necessary?

Care required?

Etc.

Thanks!

techo said:
Okay so as we know I am new to everything. So I wanted to pick some brains about plants.

What are the benefits of live plants?
Negatives?

How much more lighting is necessary?

Care required?

Etc.

Thanks!

Live plants are great IF you can provide the right tank conditions for them , benefits are that live plants transfer carbon dioxide into oxygen for the water as a part of there photosynthesis which is the very benificial , aswell as this things that may be harmful can be controlled by plants (in fact they thrive in fish waste) and they provide a good place for beneficial bacteria to develop on, they also provide a sense of home and security for fish and will give them more confidence. What type of lighting are you using at the moment? Most built in lighting use bulbs that will induce the growth of plants, aswell as algae control and a food source for fish. The tricky business may be caring for them however google is a great tool to find out what plants are easy to care for link : http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplie...m-plants-that-are-beautiful-and-easy-to-grow/.

Sorry for life story hahaa , just trying to help : D

No I really appreciate it! I have standard bulbs on my 55 gallon starter tank not sure of the wattage will have to check

techo said:
No I really appreciate it! I have standard bulbs on my 55 gallon starter tank not sure of the wattage will have to check

Standard T8s are typically very low light. You can still grow plants. I like bulbs around 6500K. Has the most useable light for plants.

Anubias
Java Ferns
Bolbitis

can all be grown under low light AND you just tie them gently to rocks, driftwood or decor.

Crypts can handle low light and plain gravel if you throw in some root tabs.

Plants are awesome :)

In general, plants are easy. Your current lighting will work but as coursair said just some low light plants. They can consume the 'waste' given by the tank (i.e. trates, trites, ammonia, etc.) and in turn produce o2 for fish. If your really thinking about plants, start from the ground up and get good substrate first. Everything else (co2, upgrade lighting) can safely be added later without tearing down the whole tank. Besides that, just some periodic trimming of discolored leaves and thats about it. Were perfectionists on this site so you'll get a lot of feed back and technicalities too. Welcome to the wonderful world of underwater gardens!!

Eco complete is easy and is a very nice black sand gravel mix substrate. It has all the nutrients in it as well. A little pricey at $18 for 20lbs. I've used it and it works!

I just got into live plants myself, and I love it. I will never have another freshwater tank without live plants again.

Live plants improve the water quality for your fish, look a lot better than fake plants, provide a more natural environment for your fish, and I find it very fun to see plants grow and propagate them.

As for light, plants generally fall into different categories of "low" "moderate" and "high" lighting.

For low light plants, usually 1 watt per gallon is sufficient as long as it is within the correct light spectrum (5000K-6700K I believe). Moderate light plants like 2-3 watts per gallon, and high light like 3+.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a gravel substrate and I bought a 15 watt 6500K bulb for 20 dollars at Petco and I'm having a lot of success growing low light plants and I love the natural look of the tank. I would recommend starting nice and easy with something like that so you don't jump into the harder plants right away and get discouraged if something goes wrong.

I am learning a lot about plants from the ones I am keeping now, so it has been a good learning experience so far and it'll help a ton for when I move to a higher tech tank down the road.

Richie1RCS said:
Eco complete is easy and is a very nice black sand gravel mix substrate. It has all the nutrients in it as well. A little pricey at $18 for 20lbs. I've used it and it works!

EC is nice, but you still need ferts. Plus the nutrients will be used up in a few months.
It does have a high CEC ( ability to hold nutrients basically ).

So EC is good, but if you need to save money
Pool Filter Sand (PFS) and Blasting Sand are alternatives. PFS is white, B Sand is Black.

There are good and bad about all substrates :)

I use sand and root tabs. Cories and Shrimp like sand :)

So is there zero chance of me being able to use the 50 lbs of natural gravel I have? :p wishful thinking

So with sand do you have to add anything to it?

And what filtration systems systems does everyone have?

So with sand do you have to add anything to it?

And what filtration systems systems does everyone have?

I've heard that many people add a small layer of potting soil underneath the sand, or they add a layer of medium such as Flourite underneath the sand, however I don't believe it is necessary to add anything if you don't want to.

And I just have a basic Aqueon "hang on back" filter, nothing special.

Okay good deal. Well right now I have a top fin 60 gallon HOB and an Aquen 30 gallon HOB and an under gravel filter.

I would assume for plants you would want to remove the undergravel filter correct?

Back
Top Bottom